New Cabins in Windigo

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: New Cabins in Windigo

Post by fonixmunkee »

TofteTom wrote:I just returned from 3 nights in the cabin. I used it as a base for day trips, and canoeing with my main "focus" on photography. Couldn't have asked for a better set up. Power to charge batteries for my various photography toys, process images on a laptop (which I did not bring). Other than the bunks, the futon, and a small table and 2 chairs there is nothing in the cabin. No drawers, no hooks for coats, no nothin'. I am not complaining, just relaying. There is a nice ceiling fan that does wonders on a hot day! I have some interior photos to post too.

[picasaimage]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-G0XM ... G_0332.JPG[/picasaimage]

[picasaimage]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ev3m ... G_0333.JPG[/picasaimage]
Thanks for the Intel in the cabins. I think this is the first first hand report on them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
shtsteve
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by shtsteve »

Nice photos of the cabin...1st timer coming out for 4 days first week of September...Just put my reservation in..Pretty much hiked the entire SHT and been waiting to come out to IR for a couple years..Thanks again..
TofteTom
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by TofteTom »

Just a few more notes...

The gas grill was great. Used it everyday. It has a nice side burner for coffee pot or pan cooking. I brought steaks, eggs, and brats... They supply the grill tools... tongs/spatula/large fork. You can bring pots and pans, or rent a mess kit from the store. The store is steps away. You have a little lake/harbor view through the trees. I would request the cabin that is farther from the store. That one has the outhouse a lot closer, and has a bit more seclusion from the store and path. Both are great though. The water spigot is 20 steps away and is potable/drinkable. Nice not to have to buy any, bring any, or bring a filtration device while based here. The covered porch was GREAT to sit on during rain.
shtsteve
NewbieCake

Post by shtsteve »

Coming out Monday Sept.2nd for 3 nights in a Camper cabin...Can't wait..Our 1st trip to IR..Just gonna get our feet wet..Could anyone tell me about how far away from the store/dock these cabins are? Thanks,Steve
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

Less than a two minute walk. They are right next to the store behind the welcome center.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
shtsteve
NewbieCake

Post by shtsteve »

Thanks for the info Nancy...