New Cabins in Windigo

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

New Cabins in Windigo

Post by johnhens »

Has anyone stayed in or looked at the New Cabins in Windigo?
If so what did you think. Any pics?
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Re: New Cabins in Windigo

Post by srparr »

I'd be interested as well ... I've heard they don't have electricity? Can anyone confirm or deny?
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

The cabins are quite nice actually. A remarkable bargain at $50 a night, they have electricity, no indoor plumbing. They will sleep six, two on a futon in the front room, and a set of double bunks in each of the two bedrooms. There is a water spicket outside centraly located between the two cabins and an outhouse. The showerhouse and flush toilet facilities are about a block away. For cooking there is a propane grille outside of each cabin, these are also equipped with a seperate burner for using pans. Cooking utensils are supplied at no charge, bed linens are available for rent, but the mattress covers would be fine for using a sleeping bag. There is also a nice porch attached to each cabin. The only downside I see, albeit very minimal, is the location of the cabins. They are up the hill at Windigo behind and just west of the Windigo strore, not super easy to get to, but space is rather limited too. A site to the west of the original ranger station, (now the pavillion) would be nice. Hope this helps.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Does anyone know who operates these new facilities? Neither the NPS IR website or the RH Lodge Concessions website mention Windigo cabins. At only $50 I doubt the private RH Lodge Concessions is involved and at only 2 units I doubt it will bring any pricing pressure on the Rock Harbor Lodge units.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

I e-mailed Forever Resorts/RH Lodge this AM for more info:

Camper cabins are rustic, one room cabins that provide shelter for guests who want to camp without a tent.
Each cabin contains a table, chairs, and bunk beds with mattresses.
Rates:$49.95 per night with electricity (no heat)
Details:
a.. Capacity: Up to 6 people
b.. Electricity: Camper Cabins have electrical outlets.
c.. Bathroom: Camper Cabins do not have indoor plumbing. Restrooms are located in the shower area.
d.. Cooking: All Camper Cabins have a picnic table, and grill for outdoor cooking. No cooking is allowed inside the cabins.
e.. Amenities: Available for rent at the Windigo Store. (Bed packs, Coleman stove, cookware, and dishes).
f.. Pets: No pets are allowed on Isle Royale National Park.
Smoking: All cabins are smoke free.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Thanks for confirmation of the info. Attached are some pictures I took this fall. The cabins are next to each other with enough space between to be comfortable. The water tap is in between the two. As you can see by the pictures, the windows were covered when I was there and I could not see inside.

Almost forgot, there is an outhouse right by them.

I consider these a bargain and we are thinking about using one for a break as part of a very long trip we are comptemplating.
Side view
Side view
Front
Front
Fancy water spigot
Fancy water spigot
View of harbor from one cabin in the fall.
View of harbor from one cabin in the fall.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Thanks for the pics Mike!!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I am very interested in utilizing this new asset. I finally might get my wife to join me again on IR without paying the huge rate for the Rock Harbor Lodge.

My wife's concept of "camping" is when she's only allowed to take ONE suitcase up to the hotel room. :roll: :oops:
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
greg
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 28

Post by greg »

Any ideas on how you can reserve one of these cool new cabins?
Greg M. Romaneck
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

The cabins are operated/maintained by Forever Resorts, the concessioner that operates Rock Harbor Lodge. You can contact them for reservations at their winter number.
naomiswanson

Post by naomiswanson »

johnhens wrote:Has anyone stayed in or looked at the New Cabins in Windigo?
If so what did you think. Any pics?
It might so interesting and I would say,I am planning to have a vacation with my friends and I consider this as one of my destination. Will you please give me further information or any details of why your place is highly recommended as one of the best destination. Although, we have a simple output regarding in this matter but I want some more.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

To me, if you gotta have a roof over your head in IR, the Windigo cabins look like the way to go. A lot less foot traffic, and you really can't beat the price. Here's the website, scroll down to the bottom for more info:

http://www.rockharborlodge.com/lodging/
naomiswanson

Post by naomiswanson »

I think this is a great place because it has a lot of beautiful places that I can consider as one of the very best spot. Moreover, Windigo offers the following services: namely, room cabin that's perfect for honeymoon, and two bedrooms cabin that's suitable for family bonding. In addition to this, this place is really a must-visit place. It's also good for those person who loves fishing in one of the most beautiful lake.
j 1
NewbieCake

Post by j 1 »

Great place for the Griswalds; I'll pass.
"For we are the local embodiment of a Cosmos grown to self-awareness...We speak for Earth." Carl Sagan
marybeth
NewbieCake

Post by marybeth »

I'm confused about the 2 new Windigo cabins. How mant bedrooms are there?
Another post stated it's not real easy to get to them. Is there a trail to them or road?
A little off the subject, but I can't find the rental rates of the boats in Windigo.
This will be my first trip to Isle Royale this summer. It's a bit hard to plan the trip. I don't find the sites user friendly.