Not my typical trip

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Not my typical trip

Post by Ingo »

Going to spend a couple nights at the lodge for the first time. My wife & I are doing a Pictured Rocks/U.P. camping trip and I talked her into adding on a quick trip out to the island, and staying at the lodge. I've always wanted to get out to Passage Island and this will give me the chance. She didn't want to do a full blown canoe trip, so this is the compromise :). Also works well to take the Queen IV, another first for me. Haven't decided whether to go with a lakeside room or a housekeeping cabin yet.

It has got me thinking that having rentable and reservable shelters at R.H. would be nice to fill in the gap between wilderness camping and lodging it. Maybe if the cabins at Windigo are successful they'll consider something like it at R.H. I bet they'd be really popular at R.H., but also guessing they may be afraid of it hurting lodge business.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Re: Not my typical trip

Post by Capt Don »

In the original "cabin plan" on IR, I was told the success of the first two at Windigo would determine if any would go into RH. The plan allowed for up to six units in RH, but I too wondered what impact this may have on the lodge rooms and housekeeping cabin bookings. I'm guessing no matter what, any new builds are quite a ways down the road.