September advice

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

nicadimus
NewbieCake

September advice

Post by nicadimus »

Hi Ya'll,

Planning my first trip to the island this June..if all goes well I'de like to come back in September..

I'm a little confused transportation wise....

I'll be coming from Grand Portage to Windigo and doing the Feldtman Loop...mid September...

The Voyaguer II website says after September 18th they are outbound Wed..I assume that means leaving from Grand Portage on Wednesdays and inbound Thurs/Sat/Sun...this is confusing to me :s Which days can we arrive and depart from Windigo??
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: September advice

Post by IncaRoads »

Grand Portage Isle Royale Transportation Line (Website) wrote:September 18, 2013 - October 3, 2013: Outbound trips to island on Wednesday; Inbound trips from island on Thursday; Saturdays and Sundays back and forth to Windigo each day and depart Grand Portage at 8am and Windigo at 1pm.
Outbound (Grand Portage to Windigo) Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday
Inbound (Windigo to Grand Portage) Thursday, Saturday, Sunday
nicadimus
NewbieCake

Post by nicadimus »

So Voyageur II would be heading to Windigo from Grand Portage Wed/Sat/Sun...and heading back to Grand Portage from Windigo Thurs/Sat/Sun? Does it say the times anywhere?
Blackdog
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Blackdog »

Hi nicadimus,

My understanding is the VII would leave GP on Wednesday at 7:30am, Saturday/Sunday at 8am

Leave from Windigo on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday at 1pm

(central time zone)
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

You are correct, the 8am departure of the VII ONLY happens for the fall Sat/Sun round trips to Windigo. For all other trips the departure from Grand Portage is 7:30am. It can get confusing I know, but the schedule is more complex than it seems with all the variables throughout the season.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

I would keep a very close eye on the weather, particularly for the open lake. September is the start of the Gale season.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

nicadimus,

After Labor Day, usually within that week, much of the Forever resorts concessions and such are preparing to/or are shutting down.
I think the same, for much of the park staff, also.

Just a FYI. :)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne