Winter Weather Holds On

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Winter Weather Holds On

Post by Capt Don »

Content removed by Capt Don
Last edited by Capt Don on Thu May 09, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: MAY 4TH BOAT PASSENGERS READ THIS

Post by johnhens »

One could be the first to snowshoe from Rock Harbor to Malone (assuming the VII could not get into Windigo). Interesting trip to plan!!
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

All kinds of things to think about...
Do we start calling our tent a shanty?
What do I bring to get my hole dug for ice fishing?
What flavor snow cones should we bring?
Should we bring our steaks frozen and hope they thaw?
Will the beer freeze?

Really, this does change the thought process a bit. We have already decided on our gas stoves versus our popcan/alcohol stoves. I do have lightweight snowshoes and will throw them in the car, but I imagine we will stick to the shorelines. The bug juice stays home :) Cross-country skis are a real possibilty. I think that would be cool. I doubt the ice will be think enough, but it would be great to ski across Siskiwit Lake! I wonder how my Neo air matress will do sliding down a hill?

On another note: Don, is the Wolf/Moose study team still going out??
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Doing my recalculations now. This late spring is really throwing a wrench in the plans as I was one of the people going to McCargoe. Pretty sure I'll be staring at Malone now and heading to Rock vs Windigo.

FYI I talked to Captain Don today and the Wolf Study is still going out.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

This is crazy news. When was the last time something like this happened to you, Capt Don?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

In my limited experience on the island (since 1996) there has never been a winter holding on like this on the island. I have been on several first boats where McCargoe Cove was a question. I remember Ryan pulling up to the mouth of McCargoe and saying "let's go" where it was told to us, it was doubtful to go in. Never anything like this. Where we were not even able to go into Windigo. Should be interesting. But, I fear/know it is just a fluke(sp?). Just ask the polar bears.

I would be curious to hear what the people who have tried to get there in the past had to say. I would imagine it has happened many times before.

MT: Looking forward to the island!!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

Thanks guys for the updates, I have been following the situation there and upgraded to a O degree sleeping bag for June 1st. Im holding onto the hope soon the weather changes for the better there.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

I've been following weather reports from the island and satalight imagery daily for a couple of weeks. While there is lots of snow ice right now, the next few days should chew through it pretty good. Days with highs in the 50's with lows around 40 and some rain mixed in. I'm cautiously optimistic most of the snow pack will be gone or at least greatly reduced by the time I get there on the 4th. I have no clue how thick the ice is on the bays or inland lakes though. Getting water, particularly from inland water sources, is my biggest concern. I might need to look for shallow run off streams, instead of the lakes.