Feedback on Route

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

gwpruitt
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Feedback on Route

Post by gwpruitt »

Planning a trip for early July. Was initially thinking of a full hiking trip (vs water taxi)...now re thinking that to make the mileage easier for the family. Two adults, Two kids. Not looking to make this a death march...but want to see as much as possible - and enjoy the island. So the water taxi is now back in play.

Open to thoughts on the following or alternatives.

Day 1 - Arrive Rock Harbor, Water Taxi to Moskey
Day 2 - Moskey to McCargoe (8.6)
Day 3 - McCargoe to Daisy (8.0)
Day 4 - Daisy to Lane Cove (7.2)
Day 5 - Lane Code to RH, Ferry back to Copper Harbor (6.9)

How long is water taxi from RH to Moskey?

Thanks,
GP
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Feedback on Route

Post by Tightlines01 »

gwpruitt wrote:Planning a trip for early July.

Day 1 - Arrive Rock Harbor, Water Taxi to Moskey.
Day 2 - Moskey to McCargoe (8.6)
Day 3 - McCargoe to Daisy (8.0)
Day 4 - Daisy to Lane Cove (7.2)
Day 5 - Lane Code to RH, Ferry back to Copper Harbor (6.9)

How long is water taxi from RH to Moskey?

Thanks,
GP
My initial thoughts....
I LOVE Moskey great choice especially with kids. The worst part of Moskey IMO is the rush to get there. I e never been in early July, but in Early August and Early Sept. Many people love Moskey and when I was there in Early Aug the last shelter was taken about 10:30 AM. Personally I'd hate to spend the coin on the taxi and not get a shelter.

I'm planning a trip to the Isle next year for the wife and kids and was thinking of taking the taxi to Moskey but will spend the first night in Rock to get an early start to Moskey.

How old are your kids? How experienced at backpacking are the kids? The rest of the Itineary seems doable if the kids can handle it. Good route overall and you'll see lots of the island.

The kids will like Daisy as there is a bit more for them there. Perhaps try to find out if they are doing any programs for the kids then.
gwpruitt
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by gwpruitt »

thanks tightlines - kids are 16 and 12. they have both done backpacking trips, but IR will be new.
good point on potentially not getting shelter at Moskey.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

GP,
The water taxi from Rock Harbor to Moskey Basin is about 9 miles, so I would guess it to be about an hour.

I would think you would have a good chance for a shelter at Moskey, but I could be wrong as I have not been there at that time. There are 2 tent sites. Tent #5 is right on the campground trail, but has a nice view of the lake. Tent #6 is a bit off the trail and more private, but does not have a nice view. There are also 2 nice group sites, but they are away from the lake and may be reserved that time of year. If Moskey is full, Lake Richie is only 2 miles away and might be an option plus, it is on your next days route.

I would make sure you have some time at McCargoe to take a trip to the Minong Mine site about a mile from the campground. It is interesting and well worth the walk. If you are fishing, the McCargoe dock is a great place to cast from (you will need a Michigan fishing license there).

Your route looks good if the kids are up for it. I would definitely plan other options if that is not the case or, if the weather is bad. There are a lot of options along that route and I would think that Lane Cove would be the one to be skipped (maybe Daisy to Three-Mile instead).

Have a great trip!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"