Photo of Voyager II

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Jeffery
NewbieCake

Photo of Voyager II

Post by Jeffery »

Just thought I would share this photo of the Voyager II

MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Photo of Voyager II

Post by MikeT »

There is a new sign on the dock. I cannot read it from the picture. I imagine it has something to do with the new manager of the marina. Looks like it might be cleaned up a bit too. Wonder why the Voyageur is parked on that side?
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Mike, I believe the Sea Hunter now parks on the other side. That was the case last summer anyways. You may have been too early this year to see both there :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

Everything was delayed this spring due to the snow, but they were both parked there last spring but opposite. We've never seen the Voyageur on that side. It appears they fixed the dock on that side as well.
Attachments
IR_Spring2012_2419 Resized.png
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

So much for that theory :roll: . Maybe it's first-come, first-serve (or whatever Capt Don and company feel like that day) :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
irhikers
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 25

Post by irhikers »

On 8/3 and 8/11 the boats were on the sides of the dock shown in Nancy's photo.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

When we got on the boat on August 10th and when we returned on August 15th, the VII parked on the right side of the dock like in Nancy's picture. I don't think there is a problem with the doors or gates because the VII used the port side at Windigo and at McCargoe.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

That is an old photo from 2006. When the Wenonah was moved to Hat Point Marina to make way for the Grand Portage National Monument Heritage Center, it was best suited on the inside of the dock due to exposure to the open lake. With the VII being gone ovenight three times a week we parked it on the outside, the crew of the Wenonah also lived aboard the boat in those days so bouncing around at the dock was less than pleasant. The sign blew apart in a storm over the winter and was removed and we conceded that the lake was more powerful that any sign I was interested in building. It brings back some memories of days gone by.
GoofyGirl
NewbieCake

Post by GoofyGirl »

What is a rockier "Vomit Comet" kinda ride? Sea Hunter or Voyager? Heading out after Labor day on the Voyager. My boyfriend and I went out over July 4th from the Ranger III and man that was a SWEET ride! He said to not get too used to that ride! :)
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

Vomit comet? I've not heard that one before. I finished trip number 50 for the year on the Sea Hunter today, all of those trips and all of those passengers, only two people got sick. I don't know of a boat that doesn't move around given the right sea conditions, including 1000' bulk freighters, but exposure time is certainly a factor. I don't know if it is truth or rumor, but I have heard that the Ranger cancels trips if the lake is rough because the skipper gets sea sick. If so, that would explain the smooth ride, more condition based than boat style.