Possible quarantine may impact campers visiting from MN?

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Possible quarantine may impact campers visiting from MN?

Post by Tom »

The MN Dept of Agriculture is considering placing two NE counties under quarantine to prevent the spread of Gypsy Moths. A similar USDA quarantine is already in place for the U.P. and the rest of MI.
(I'm posting this in Transportation and Lodging since it seems to most impact going to and fro the Isle)

What is unclear, however, is how this may impact campers that elect to pitch their tent in the quarantine area before or after visiting IR. Camping equipment, like tents, are considered "Outdoor household articles" and "self-inspection" appears that it might be OK, but it's all still a little unclear to me on what you're supposed to do or if you need to document it.

Anyhoo, here are the details to date: http://www.mda.state.mn.us/en/plants/pe ... tions.aspx

Anyone in a currently quarantined area know of any details on how this is currently handled? Or, because it appears Isle Royale might also be IN the quarantine, it's all cool because you're moving between infected areas?
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Possible quarantine may impact campers visiting from MN?

Post by Tightlines01 »

Hugh. This is the first time I've heard of that Tom. I'm from downstate Michigan but I camped in Houghton waiting for the floatplane a couple years ago. I never heard anything about inspecting tents or anything like that.

We do have an emerald ash bore problem in Michigan. They won't let you take firewood across the Mackinac Bridge from the lower peninsula to the upper Peninsula but I've never heard anything about tents or inspecting them prior to moving from one area to another