My 1st trip!!

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

minneapolisguy34
NewbieCake

My 1st trip!!

Post by minneapolisguy34 »

I am so excited to finally say I am going to Isle Royale!! I have wanted to go here since before I can remember, looking at my dads pictures was all the inspiration I needed.

I posted last year about what is the youngest someone would recommend bringing a baby. I got a answer of "men lived in caves" which I loved!. But I wasn’t 100% comfortable bringing a 6 month old out. However my then 6 month old will be 18 months In July when my GF and I are visiting. The other reply I got was recommending the new cabins in Windigo. After much research on this site, we settled on the cabins as a way to get our feet wet for the 1st time. We are staying from 7-2/7-5. It’s not a long time (the cabins were booked except from 7-1/7-10) but it’s better than nothing. However I have a couple questions I was hoping for some advice on.

1-How bad are the bugs typically in early July?

2-The boat ride itself. (Voaygeur/Seahunter) On a bad day how bad is it? How is it on a good day? I have a history of sea sickness!! What advice would anyone have for the boat ride with an infant?
3-Fishing. I love to fish where are some good places I can fish around Windigo?
4-Day hikes. I was looking at Huggins Cove. It sounds about 9 miles roundtrip. Is this realistic with an infant? I plan on bringing a baby back carrier. Plus the lookout points I noticed also.
5-Food. It seems weird bringing a cooler along, what should we bring? What can we expect at the store?
6- Infant needs. Rain coat, food diapers, toys. What do YOU think?
7- Beach fire. Is that allowed around Windigo?
8- Weather. From what Wunderground shows from 40's-80's.

I understand everyone is different. I have what I like to think is some good outdoor experience. But I lack the supplies and real world experience to know for sure, and bringing my baby to the wilderness is not a place I want to find out the hardway! I think this is a good starting point for my family.

Any thoughts or input is great!!
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: My 1st trip!!

Post by Lucky Chicken »

1. I will quote an old Isle royal native... "there is not one single mosquito on isle royale.... they are all married with lots of children" don't forget the bug spray (infant approved)

4. 9 miles is a decent backpacking day if you are in good backpacking shape... with a child carrier you will basically be backpacking. only difference you may need to stop more for kid stuff. that said, if you are not an avid hiker/ backpacker I probably wouldn't recommend biting off that much for a first time.
5. staying at the cabin a cooler is possible... I would bring backpacking meals because I wouldn't want to carry a heavy cooler... that's just me.
6. yes yes yes yes... your backpack carrier might have a rain hood attachment you can get.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

1-How bad are the bugs typically in early July?
Be prepared! There's good potential for both skeeters and flies to be bad. I think a headnet for the little one is an absolute must bring, and not a bad idea for Mom & Dad. But you may get lucky too. And just 'cause they're not bad when you start a hike doesn't mean they won't be along the route, so always bring them (and your rain jackets, too).
2-The boat ride itself. (Voaygeur/Seahunter) On a bad day how bad is it? How is it on a good day? I have a history of sea sickness!! What advice would anyone have for the boat ride with an infant?
Take the Seahunter definitely. It is both faster and smoother than the Voyageur II.
3-Fishing. I love to fish where are some good places I can fish around Windigo?
I'm not good for any fishing advice, but you can rent a boat or canoe to get away from the shoreline of Washington Harbor. You will need a Michigan license, but I'm pretty sure you can get them at Windigo.
4-Day hikes. I was looking at Huggins Cove. It sounds about 9 miles roundtrip. Is this realistic with an infant? I plan on bringing a baby back carrier. Plus the lookout points I noticed also.
I think this is one of those if you don't know the answer then it's probably "No". It's not a terrible trail, but think about 9 miles in the city, then add a rocky, rooty trail with a lot more ups and downs. I would do the trail to Grace Lookout first, 4? miles round trip--if that's nothing to you, then consider the loop.
5-Food. It seems weird bringing a cooler along, what should we bring? What can we expect at the store?
I would bring a small cooler, if only for a few drinks. And maybe bring some frozen meat for the first night. Don't expect too much from the store, mostly basic items, so plan to bring all your food. They do have ice, drinks, snacks, and a small grill. A couple years ago someone posted a complete inventory :) -- you could search for that.
6- Infant needs. Rain coat, food diapers, toys. What do YOU think?
Our kids are grown. I forget :D .
7- Beach fire. Is that allowed around Windigo?
No (pretty sure about that).
8- Weather. From what Wunderground shows from 40's-80's.
Yup, that's what you should be prepared for. And don't trust any weather forecast, except as a very general best guess.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

Regarding taking your 18 month old infant, back in 1990, a buddy of mine took his 9 month old daughter with him (and wife) to Isle Royale. I was paddling in my kayak and met them at Rock Harbor. They did their homework beforehand and had no real problems while on the island. As I recall, they backpacked from R.H. to Moskey Basin, staying at Three Mile campground and Daisy Farm. They always stayed in shelters. I also remember that the only thing they wished that had brought was some sort of sheet for the kid to crawl on when they were in a shelter (splinters and dirt!).

I also remember that they were the talk of the island when they were there. Almost everybody I talked to while kayaking mentioned “the couple with the baby.” Funny part is, my buddy’s daughter is now 24 and has absolutely no memory of her trip to Isle Royale.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Congrats on the trip! It should be a great experience.
#1 - ditto on the bugs. head nets and "friendly" bug stuff for everyone. Hopefully you will not need them.
#2 - ditto on the Seahunter (based on everything I have heard). The Voyageur is not bad though and is the best I have taken. I always take a Dramamine though. I have never been sick on a boat to the island (but, have been seasick once and I never want it to happen again).
#3 - Others will most likely add to fishing. Without getting into the open water, I would think Washington Harbor and/or Creek could offer fishing. Or, that time of year, and with a cute baby, some fishing party may take you out a bit.
#4 - I would definitely try to get to Huginnin Cove as it will give you a great idea of what to expect in the backcountry and is beautiful. Maybe try and hike up the Feldtmann (as mentioned by others) to test things. That hike is actually harder in terms of the ascent, but it is only one major ascent. The hike to Huginnin is nice and I have done several day trips there. Pack a lunch and spend a couple of hours there if possible. Check out the north shore east of the campground. It is spectacular.
#5 - You can really bring all you need and not use the store except for something you forgot. The cabins have a nice grill and the store is expensive.
#6 - I'm with Ingo here. It has been so long since I had to thing about such things and I am sure you guys have a much better idea what is needed.
#7 - There are no fires allowed at Windigo, but they may have a fire at the talks in the evening (they do in Rock Harbor). I have not been there at that time, but I do not recall seeing a fire ring in the amphitheater.

Hope you have a great trip and let us know how it goes. Having a "Cupie Doll" along with you will get you a lot of attention and will make for some great pics :D
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
minneapolisguy34
NewbieCake

All the advice has been very helpfull! Your knowledge and experiance is very motivating.

Thank you.

Josh
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

I remember my first trip to the isle there wasa young family with a baby on moms back in a carrier. Dad's pack was massive as he had the lions share of the stuff.

Take it easy and short unless your used to a heavier than normal pack. Also I never thought about it until later but I can't imagine packing out the diapers. That will add up as weight and may get really stinky. I'd recommend one of the odor proof bags for food to control the odors.

Make sure to take breaks to rest your feet. As you'll be the pack mule, if you go down to blisters you'll be in trouble.

Andy
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

Don't be shy about bringing a cooler...you can usually buy ice daily if you need to. You are staying at the cabins... load up a big one, it's your trip not anyone else's.
If the Seahunter goes down you can paddle the cooler to safety.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Every year, around this time, there's a post or thread on the Isle Royale forums that officially gets me stoked for heading out to IR. This is that post.

Here's my answers to your questions. I don't know anything about babies or kids, because they are scary, so take that into effect when reading my answers;
minneapolisguy34 wrote:1-How bad are the bugs typically in early July?
Very bad. It's probably right after the hatch of black flies and mosquitos. Bring lots of bug spray, head nets, etc. It would scare me to put bug spray on a baby, so I'd see if there's some sort of bug tent for kids in a cradle or carrier or something. I'm sure someone has built a market share of bug-proof kid equipment out there...?
minneapolisguy34 wrote:2-The boat ride itself. (Voaygeur/Seahunter) On a bad day how bad is it? How is it on a good day? I have a history of sea sickness!! What advice would anyone have for the boat ride with an infant?
I love the VII, but I don't get sea sick and enjoy an adventure. I've never been on the Seahunter before, but I've heard unanimously that it's a much smoother ride.
minneapolisguy34 wrote:3-Fishing. I love to fish where are some good places I can fish around Windigo?
If you fish around Windigo, you'll be on Lake Superior, and therefore need a Michigan license along with whatever stamps (trout, etc.). I've never heard rave reviews about the fishing in & around Windigo, nor have I seen many fishers. Your mileage may vary.
minneapolisguy34 wrote:4-Day hikes. I was looking at Huggins Cove. It sounds about 9 miles roundtrip. Is this realistic with an infant? I plan on bringing a baby back carrier. Plus the lookout points I noticed also.
I've never made the hike to Hugginan Cove, can't speak to that. The nature walk hike (about 1.5miles) near the Windigo ranger station is nice, too, but it's only an hour or so. The hike towards Feldtmann is also nice, as it travels along Washington Harbor
minneapolisguy34 wrote:5-Food. It seems weird bringing a cooler along, what should we bring? What can we expect at the store?
Bring a cooler, for sure! You are going to be in a cabin, so why not? (Put some beers in it, too).
minneapolisguy34 wrote:6- Infant needs. Rain coat, food diapers, toys. What do YOU think?
It will rain. There will be bugs. REI is your friend when it comes to planning a kid-camping adventure.
minneapolisguy34 wrote:7- Beach fire. Is that allowed around Windigo?
Fires are not allowed at Windigo. There's very few places you can have a fire on IR. The quickest way to get a visit from the rangers is having a fire anywhere that is not clearly marked.
minneapolisguy34 wrote:8- Weather. From what Wunderground shows from 40's-80's.
Yup, 40s at night, 80s during the day is not out of the realm of possibility.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Hello all, and thanks for all the knowledge.Last year was my first trip to paradise.the info i found on this forum was invaluable.this post just inspired me to join up.I am a father of a 5 yr old and a 2yr old.It is good to see that you are going to take the family on high adventure.I backpack and kayak with my kids all the time.......diapers will be one of your biggest problems.I reccomend a good ziplock bag a day for used diapers, they get very ripe in the hot sun.I recomend the feldman ridge trail up to the overlook.it is a good spot for a picknick, and the view will make u want to see more.personally i found this an easy trail.one piece of golden advice is find the most rugged terrain u can find load your gear and practice, practice, practice.it would be a shame to loose time from blisters or sore muscles.....just my 2¢ worth.....again thanks everyone for sharing all of your knowledge.
Isle-Royale-Fan
NewbieCake

Post by Isle-Royale-Fan »

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but, an 18 month old on Isle Royale? NO. This is not the place for that child and like someone posted - they aren't going to remember it anyway. Take her camping in the backyard. When she is about 10 years old, then I would try Windigo with day hikes. Keep it short and sweet. I have a 24 yr. old son. We have done adventures from one end of the spectrum to the other, so I speak from experience. I have also worked in an elementary school setting for 17 years. Please heed my advice.
minneapolisguy34
NewbieCake

We made it!!
I will do a trip report in the next few days. All I can say is I understand why this is the most revisited park we have! I have been to Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Yosemite among others. This one is very special.

I want to thank all of you who have taken time out to give us your thoughts and input. It was very helpful.

Josh
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Can't wait to read the report!
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Glad ya made it .....welcome to framily... :) can't wait to hear your trip report!

Do you have the next one planned out yet?
minneapolisguy34
NewbieCake

@ tree Ratt.

I was thinking before I left I want to go back in the fall! But I want to do it right, camp, hike, fish, and not carry a toddler!

But I need to get a tent, sleeping bag and pad.

Money and time are the issue. Not motivation or desire to return.