First trip planning/scheduling - seeking input

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

GreginMN
NewbieCake

First trip planning/scheduling - seeking input

Post by GreginMN »

Hello! Just joined the forums for the first time, and in the process of planning my first trip to Isle Royale along with a few friends (also newbies). I am in Minneapolis, and my friends in southeast Michigan. Our group (at least 3, may grow) is hoping to travel from our separate starting points and meet on the island, with a goal of doing so as efficiently as possible (i.e. less travel time = more hiking/trail running time). Our window for the trip is over Memorial Day weekend, May 22/23 - May 27.

Initially, we had planned to each take our respective ferry rides (them from Houghton, me from Grand Portage) and meet at either Rock Harbor or Windigo to begin our time on the island. However, given the ferry schedules in late May, it appears our best bet from a time perspective is the following, utilizing the sea plane for the guys from Michigan:

- Friday, May 23rd
Myself - drive to Grand Portage
Michigan guys - drive from Detroit to Houghton (or drive Thursday night)

- Saturday, May 24th
Myself- depart for Isle Royale via Voyageur II at 730AM (arrive Windigo at 1030 AM)
Michigan guys - take the seaplane from Houghton and schedule to arrive at same time (or night before)

- Sunday, May 25th - on island

- Monday, May 26th - on island

- Tuesday, May 27th
Myself - leave Windigo via Voyageur II at 1 PM (arrive Grand Portage at 3 PM)
Michigan guys - take seaplane back to Houghton then drive home to downstate

While this works, it doubles the travel cost for my friends from Michigan due to needing to take the seaplane. The only other option I can gather from scouring the boat schedules is for me to depart for the island on Wednesday May 21, and spend a few extra days before meeting my group in Rock Harbor Friday (they would arrive on the Queen IV from Copper Harbor). This is possible, but not preferable.

Would anyone have any other suggestions from experience of meeting travel partners on the island, coming from different directions?
No matter what, we plan to make it work with the travel options available, just wondering if there is a more efficient way that we aren't thinking of, based on others' experience.

Thanks!
-Greg
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Re: First trip planning/scheduling - seeking input

Post by tree rattt »

Just out of curiosity, why would a few more days and some day hikes not be preferable? I am new here too, however my only thought when I had to leave after nine days was I wish I could have a few more days. Most folks you will meet on the island are very sociable. Plus consider how nice it would be after a few solo days, to have a reunion with friends.Or you could make new ones!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

If your friends take the Queen on Fri 5/23, hike/camp Daisy Farm first night; you take the Voyager Sat 5/24 and skip Windigo drop off, and go to McCargo drop off. You then hike to W Chickenbone or Lake Richie to meet your friends where they will have hiked to meet you. Y'all figure the remainder from there.

OR

Your friends take the Queen 5/23 and stay in RH; you take the Voyager to RH 5/24 hook up with your friends; y'all hike to Three Mile, or whatever, you can fill in the rest.

Plenty of other variations from the above options.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Welcome to the forums!

Another option is for the guys from Michigan driving to Grand Portage. It would add another day of travel as it is a long ways, but the trip along Minnesota's north shore is beautiful with many sites to see. Plus the boat ride is shorter and this would save the plane costs. Also, in May, the plane service is very spotty due to the weather conditions. If they take the plane, you cannot plan on a for-sure arrival and departure time and date. I live in Michigan and, most of the time, we go all the way to Grand Portage due to the more variety of scheduling and drop off points. Typically we drive to Marquette the first day then on to Grand Portage the second day. I live in the "thumb" and this makes the trip 8 hours to Marquette and another 8-9 hours to Grand Portage. I can recommend a great motel in Marquette or a campground west of Marquette if they decide to do that.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Donk_67 »

Just food for thought; if you want to travel over with your friends, it's only an hour longer to drive to Houghton from the twin cities as it is to drive to Grand Portage.
GreginMN
NewbieCake

Post by GreginMN »

Thanks everyone for the welcome and suggestions!

-tree rattt, to answer why not the extra days on the island...well that definitely would be preferable, except that I'm rationing PTO pretty tightly this year. Wish I didn't have to!

-Thanks MikeT and jrwiesz for great suggestions on adjusting start points/meet-up points.

-Donk_67, great point, and I'm laughing that I forgot how close I am to the UP now. We're going to take this plan, much easier for me to drive and meet them in Houghton/the Kewenaw. Plus as a native Michigander, any excuse to drive through the UP is a good one.