MV-Ranger IV

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

MV-Ranger IV

Post by Tom »

In researching a rumor that the Ranger III crane is currently out of commission until mid-summer (I chatted with Grant Merritt at the Midwest Mountaineering show yesterday, and he indicates they can't get their small motor boat hauled out) I came across this "Mega Project Profile" that proposes replacing the Ranger III. I guess we all presumed that day would eventually come... Hard to say when funding would be available/approved. The document isn't dated, but references a study to be performed in the 2013 fiscal year. They are estimating costs in 2018 dollars.

http://www.nps.gov/transportation/pdfs/ ... _Final.pdf

PS: If it matters to you, note that the crane on the Ranger III might be out of service, so contact the NPS before arriving at the dock...
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: MV-Ranger IV

Post by Lucky Chicken »

if the crane is out... what does that mean for freight unloading to start the season in Windigo and Rock Harbor?
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I'm not positive, but I think a lot of the cargo goes through the side hold door. The crane might only be used for loading up the top deck, which often ferries over small craft, etc. However, I suppose they might put some big things on top for NPS use, too...
k2one
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by k2one »

I took the first trip to the Island on the Queen IV May 2013 and the Ranger docked at Rock Harbor. I observed building materials and freight for the Lodge being unloaded topside by the crane,a sizeable load as I recall. I don't remember what if anything was taken off from the side of the boat.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Not being able to transport privately owned small craft will be the biggest (and maybe only) downside, should the Ranger's deck crane be out of commission during public passenger season. I think other arrangements for NPS bulk cargo, that is typically moved topside, could be made via barge etc.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Good thing she is ran by the park service.My guess is if she were a contractor boat, it would have been red tagged long ago!Has the park service used any other craft this year to put employees out there? Or don' t they currently have a presence?
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

Trash dumpsters are hauled topsides on every trip. I wonder if they fit through the cargo door.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

What is wrong with the crane, has anyone contacted the park
Service yet? I ask because I have seen a manufacturer cya ploy where they condem a crane, or ariel lift after a number of years..... often in the 15 to 20 year range.I see that this crane is at least 28 years old.28 is ancient for this type of equipment.A company I used to work for had millions of dollars of equipment deemed unsafe to opperate, simply because the equipment had a birthday.Otherwise this critical piece of equipment should be easily replaced or repaired. This particular crane isn' t even that strong.being down for very long simply doesn't add up.It does make sense only if u consider government beurocracy and the need to drive home the point .We need a new ship.For example if I needed a new 3 ton crane,or even wanted to upgrade to the 5 TON I would go over to scafiddi truck equipment and have one by the end of the week.So I ask what game are they (the government )playing at?
Last edited by tree rattt on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

tree rattt wrote:Has the park service used any other craft this year to put employees out there? Or don' t they currently have a presence?
In a "normal" year, the Ranger would have been making trips to IR and the Law Enforcement folks would have gone out on their patrol boats. Even if the Ranger were here, it is doubtful it could make the trip given the ice remaining on the Portage waterway and on the lake and around IR. An icebreaker would be needed to accompany the Ranger, and the USCG icebreakers are busy assisting commercial traffic on the Lake. I had heard an icebreaker was supposed to open the Portage waterway, not sure if that happened.
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

tree rattt wrote:Good thing she is ran by the park service. My guess is if she were a contractor boat, it would have been red tagged long ago!
What are you basing your "guess" on? The US Coast Guard inspects the Ranger and I have the utmost respect for their professionalism and attention to detail. Especially since they know this is a passenger vessel. The fact that she is run by the park service won't make a bit of difference in their inspection. Do you think otherwise?
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

tree rattt wrote:iFor example if I needed a new 3 ton crane,or even wanted to upgrade to the 5 TON I would go over to scafiddi truck equipment and have one by the end of the week. So I ask what game are they playing at?
Why do you think they are playing a game? Things break, they need to be repaired or completely replaced. In the government acquisition system that usually doesn't mean 'make a phone call and buy the part or subsystem'. The government acquisition process means repair or replace studies, contracting officers, small business set asides, competitive contracts, etc. It's a cumbersome and sometimes slow process. It doesn't mean that someone at IR National Park is playing some game just to get a new 'Ranger'.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Sorry.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2