Air Charter to island in week 1: where to buy fuel?

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

WinstonWolf
NewbieCake

Air Charter to island in week 1: where to buy fuel?

Post by WinstonWolf »

Pop and I have gone to IR a few times but we've always taken the ferry. This year we want to fly out, as it saves us the cost of a GP hotel room and lets us get to the island the same day we leave home. The only hitch is fuel. We like to get to IR in the first or 2nd week, before the stores open.

Is the NPS website accurate? Can we buy white gas on island, at Windigo, during the very early season? And what do you do with excess at the end of the trip? Do they take it back?

http://www.nps.gov/isro/faqs.htm

The Visitor Centers at Windigo and Rock Harbor sell white gas from mid-May to mid-June and mid-September through the end of September when the stores at those locations are closed.

If this works out , we will be very happy, as we intend to get to Windigo on a non-Ferry day, on the first week and then hit Feldtmann (the only trail my father has never been on, before heading to Rock Harbor.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Air Charter to island in week 1: where to buy fuel?

Post by Tightlines01 »

I have a good friend that loves late Sept and they usually fly. He contacts the Rangers who pre purchase for him and hold it for him. Perhaps that's an option (contact the parks dept) as I'm sure your not the only one with this dilemma and they likely have a system for it.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

The one time I flew in/out of Windigo I left my partial canister with a ranger who said they kept a stash for emergencies and personal use. So ditto on calling them and see what they say. A twig stove would be another option.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I second the twig stove. Save your dryer lint and dribble a little candle wax on it. That will light all but the wettest tinder.
frdm02
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by frdm02 »

I will go in for the twig stove as well. Used one in the fall of 2014. Loved it.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Stick stoves rock! Dont forget about downed birch bark....it is a bit dirty to cook with but we heated 2 meals with it. Clean the carbon off the bottom between uses if you need this emergency route.....it insulates and is VERY messy :( . I carry an alcohol stove for my morning joe....that way we can pack up and not baby sit. Alcohol wont work for you though. Have you tried esbit? Is that allowed on the plane?
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

WinstonWolf wrote:Is the NPS website accurate? Can we buy white gas on island, at Windigo, during the very early season? And what do you do with excess at the end of the trip? Do they take it back?
It is not my intention of derailing this thread, so please ignore this post, but I just wanted to say that you have an excellent forum user name.

"My name is Winston Wolf. I solve problems."
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

The ranger station at Windigo can fill your fuel bottle with white gas. I have seen them do this for hikers, pouring from 1-gal "coleman fuel" storage cans. If you have left-overs, you can probably donate it back to the gascan. I assume you pay the rangers by the ounce or something like that, and I assume a similar service is available at Rock Harbor.