2015 Voyageur II and Sea Hunter Schedules and rates

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

2015 Voyageur II and Sea Hunter Schedules and rates

Post by Capt Don »

We have posted the schedules and rates for 2015 at www.isleroyaleboats.com . Reservations are not yet available but should be by mid February. We are launching a new online reservation system this year that will be much more user friendly and hopefully clear up some of the confusion on our inherently confusing schedules and routes. We are looking forward to a busy 2015.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: 2015 Voyageur II and Sea Hunter Schedules and rates

Post by hooky »

I took the VII over on the same morning you took the Sea hunter to dry dock. Sorry I missed you, but it was a great ride over and back from Malone. Hoping to do it again this year!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

This means the season is near. Thanks Capt Don.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Thanks Capt Don, had a great trip riding with you last June! Keep up the good work, we will be back :)
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

We can't wait to hear those diesels rumble on the V2 again.Hats off to your you and your crews, always a great ride!
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Bad news for us.

I had a feeling they were going to start later in the year due to the past two years of weather cancellations. The usual start of the first Saturday in May was great for us. I was hoping it was only going to be a week later, but it is 11 days later (2nd to 13th) which will make it impossible for us to go as we have a commitment on Memorial weekend. With this change, the Queen is actually going to be starting two days before the Voyageur.

Time to figure out a different trip than planned. We will have to take the Queen 5-11 to the 18th for a short trip unless I can find a private boat to take us. If anyone has any suggestions on possible contacts for a private boat that may be willing to take us, please contact me.

One thing that I imagine will be different due to the Voyageurs late start, will be they will be overnighting in Rock Harbor the first day instead of going around the island and back to Grand Portage that same day because there will be people on the island.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

Mike, sorry about your plans being turned upside down. The late start this year has more to do with the Coast Guard than anything else. Granted, the last two springs presented some challenges that even prevented us from getting in the water, let alone sailing. Coast Guard inspection always fall in early May for the VII, if weather or CG availability prevented inspection before we left Duluth we are able to schedule them for Grand Portage later in the spring so we can get moving regardless of the calendar. Once every five years, on the anniversary year of the Certificate of Inspection, (that silly 8x11 piece of paper that allows us to carry passengers) that is not possible, this is the year. Along with that the Coast Guard has required us (and everyone else in the district that has not got an updated stability letter) to undergo a new stability test so they can update their files. Forty continuous years of service on the same route evidently counts for nothing, but I don't want to get started on that. Anyway, all that and a five year dry dock inspection as well all need to be completed before we can legally go to work this spring. The Coast Guard has told me they will be very busy in mid April and don't want to delay our season, (but of course they will regardless) so with that and uncertainty of weather conditions in April, we were left with no choice except to delay our own season start. While we would like to try for an earlier start, if it didn't work, we have left people with plans made and no ride at the last minute and that is something we try to avoid at all costs. We do plan to go back to the traditional start of early May for 2016. As for our trip on the first day, we do plan to go around the island. Reason being, it would be unlikely that anyone on the island would be looking to go to Grand Portage on Thursday, we would give someone an inter-island ride on that Wednesday if they wanted.
I know this is probably little consolation for you and Nancy, but hope this explains that we haven't forgotten our early season first boat riders and hope to get you to the island as in the past.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Thanks Don, that is good to know. I remember you talking about that "stability test". Still bummed about having to miss the first boat for the second year in a row, but we can blame the Coast Guard. It is good to know you plan on going back to the earlier schedule next year.

We are thinking we may go in June instead because of scheduling conflicts. Actually go to the island when the stores are open :) and the bugs are alive :( That should be interesting.

We will see you sometime during the year.

On a side topic, a suggestion: It would be nice to have information (price, etc.) on the shirts and hoodlies on your website and/or posted here. Just a thought.

Hope your winter is going good and hope to see you soon!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

Thanks Captain Don, we wil be on early june boat. can't Wait!