water taxi *from* Hidden Lake dock?

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

water taxi *from* Hidden Lake dock?

Post by torpified »

Today's rookie questions are about the logistics of arranging a water taxi ride from Hidden Lake Dock to Rock Harbor. (I'm looking at a Wednesday, so the sight seeing tour won't be an option.)

1. Paranoia: I'm picturing myself sitting forlornly on the dock waiting for a taxi that can't make the arranged rendezvous due to intervening complications. Does this ever happen? Is there any way for me and/or the taxi to warn each other about changing plans? (Is there cell phone reception at Lookout Louise?)

2. Carpooling: what's the best way to find out if there are others interested in sharing a taxi?

Thanks!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: water taxi *from* Hidden Lake dock?

Post by Ingo »

Short answer is don't worry about it! I suppose it could happen, but guess it's pretty rare. It's close to R.H. and there's enough traffic there that even in the unlikely event that they were delayed, someone would eventually be by who could radio the lodge (a ranger or fisherman), or maybe someone who had paddled over. And if it was anything significant they would likely make an effort to contact you via a ranger. People don't get left and forgotten, so I would put it low on my list of paranoias :wink: .
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: water taxi *from* Hidden Lake dock?

Post by torpified »

My list of paranoias is long, with blackflies, tapeworms, and leeches outranking dock abandonment! Thanks.