Copper Harbor Lodging/Restaraunts

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

hermsker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Copper Harbor Lodging/Restaraunts

Post by hermsker »

Have always gone from Grand Portage, but due to schedule conflict we are catching the May 9 Queen ferry. Are there any reasonable lodges to stay the night before we depart. Is camping an option? Also, is there any restaraunt that would be open early enough for breakfast before we head to the dock. TIA
Stephen
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Copper Harbor Lodging/Restaraunts

Post by Stephen »

I stayed at the Brockway, it was ok. The motels in that area all seem to serve the purpose of a place to stay prior to leaving for the Isle at a reasonable price.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

The campground at Fort Wilkins State Park is convenient, just a couple miles from town. Can't seem to remember what we did for breakfast, but restaurants should be open.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
3MTA3
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by 3MTA3 »

Lake Fanny Hooe & Fort Wilkins are nice campgrounds. I prefer Fort Wilkins. When I went in July 2002 the campgrounds were pretty empty & we had the had them to ourselves. Now, in part because of the popularity of the new(ish) mountain bike trails, they fill up rather quickly. I can only imagine the hotels do too.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

I stayed at a motel next to the ferry parking lot (King Copper, maybe?). Nothing special. A bit like travelling back to 1955. There is a small bakery on the dock and it is open early. Great for a roll and coffee.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I've stayed at King Copper. Nice enough for the money. Very small rooms and beds but quite clean and friendly. I suspect the others are in the same league. How many in your group? If you need more than a couple of rooms it might be cheaper if you could convince one of the area vacation homes to rent to you for one night. They all advertise a several day minimum stay but if you contact them last minute one might make an exception if they are not booked.

For others reading this, please check the Keweenaw activity calendars as there are typically 1 or 2 events per month, in or around Copper Harbor from Memorial Day through October that can cause all accommodations to fill up. You will have no problems on May 9th though.

Copper Harbor has at least 2 restaurants that are very aware of the Queen's schedule and open early enough to cater to that early morning business.

Another Copper Harbor factoid is there is practically no cell coverage. A short drive up to Brockway Mountain is needed to make a call.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013