Parking in MN

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

karlschindel
NewbieCake

Parking in MN

Post by karlschindel »

This might be a silly question, but where do you park your car before getting on the boat? I'm planning on leaving from MN. Is there a parking lot? Is it safe?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Parking in MN

Post by Ingo »

It's right by the dock, and safe. Have never heard of any issues. This is from the boat's website:
"The Grand Portage Band of Chippewa owns the marinas and docking facilities for the boats to get people to and from Isle Royale. They collect the parking fee of $4.00 per day per vehicle, it is paid upon your return. When you return there will be an envelope on your windshield, take it into the marina office and the marina cashier will calculate and collect your parking fee."
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Yep, I've parked there many times with no issues.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
karlschindel
NewbieCake

Post by karlschindel »

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Is there a limit to the amount they charge, as at Copper Harbor - $30 max for cars?
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
cmbleskachek1
NewbieCake

Post by cmbleskachek1 »

OFF TOPIC - where is that Greenstone Ridge quote from? Love it!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

cmbleskachek1 wrote:OFF TOPIC - where is that Greenstone Ridge quote from? Love it!
I believe from Jim FrDufresne's book Isle Royale National Park: Foot Trails & Water Routes

It's also available at Amazon of course but the price is the same so the Isle Royale and Keweenaw Parks Association gets my nod.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Yes cmb...1, Midwest Ed is correct; it is the second to last paragraph from Jims' - Afterword, "The Last Portage", in his above mentioned trail guide.

And as Midwest Ed points out, preferably purchased through the IRKPA.

This passage was not in his initial edition of the guide, but has been the afterword with his second, third, and fourth editions.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

If one were to park for 10 or 20 days, the parking fee is $40 or $80? Or is there a limit, anyone?
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

There was not a limit. $4 per day. Unless things have changed.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

That parking fee is one reason why, for the really long trips, you might want to consider driving over to Houghton where the parking is free and the ferry is cheaper but only serves Rock Harbor.