water taxi (full stop)

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

water taxi (full stop)

Post by torpified »

So I haven't managed to initiate two way communication with the water taxi operators. While I haven't exactly been stalking them, I have left several voice mail and (via Rock Harbor Lodge) email messages. I'm trying to figure out whether to feel unlucky or paranoid -- has anybody else been having trouble raising them?

(I'm not quite complaining --- this way I'll compete the trip under my own power, and there's something satisfying about that!)
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: water taxi (full stop)

Post by Midwest Ed »

The Rock Harbor Lodge operators and the water taxi operators are one in the same. Rock Harbor Lodge concessions is part of a larger company called Forever Resorts which has concessions contracts in dozens of national parks, many state recreation areas and even several international operations. In my dealings with them they have always been very friendly and fair, but I too have noticed they sometimes are not very responsive. My suggestion is to just be persistent, remembering they are on Eastern Time and the telephone service to the Island can be flaky, especially during bad weather. Their RH web contact page does have a formyou can fill out and they ask for both phone and email and ask your preference, but they do not list their own email. I suggest filling out the form, add specifics about your water taxi request and see if you receive an email.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
cmbleskachek1
NewbieCake

Post by cmbleskachek1 »

YES! Having the same experience, I'm afraid :-( I've called three times (tried both numbers) and filled out the online form twice. No response. We're trying to arrange a water taxi to hidden lake dock so we can start our hike there. Everyone seems pretty adamant that this transportation needs to be arranged well in advance, but I don't know what else to try. I think we're just going to give up and hope for the best once we get there, and have a plan B at the ready.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

I walked to Rock Harbor, and kayaked later out to Hidden Lake Dock (and beyond) -- I don't regret Plan A falling through

After I was already on the Island and off the grid, I got an email from the lodge apologizing for the delay -- they say they're working their way out from under a pile of messages that accumulated while some systems were down-- and encouraging me to call (9063374993---their normal number, I think) if I still had questions. So maybe things are opening up.

Have a good trip, whatever form it takes!
cmbleskachek1
NewbieCake

Post by cmbleskachek1 »

Thanks for the update, maybe I'll give another call before we head out!