How to get to the island in October?

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

jogpantz
NewbieCake

How to get to the island in October?

Post by jogpantz »

My friend and I have fall break in late October, but it seems that all the ferries stop operating before then, what are our options? Find a homie on lake superior with a boat? Take a plane? We just spent the summer in yellowstone and we go to school in chicago, we want to get the hell out of the city for an adventure on our fall break. We went to Royale a few years ago and are very eager to return.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: How to get to the island in October?

Post by IncaRoads »

You are correct. Isle Royale National Park is open every year from April 16 through October 31. However, boat and seaplane services run from early May through early October. Getting to Isle Royale in late October requires having your own transportation.

You may want to consider going to the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park or the Sylvania Wilderness instead. Both of these destinations will be much easier to get to during the late October time frame of your fall break.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

The last scheduled public ferry from the Island this year is Thursday, October 6th. I wonder what it takes to hitch a ride home on the Ranger III during late season when they are closing down operations. I know people have done it.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

Midwest Ed wrote:The last scheduled public ferry from the Island this year is Thursday, October 6th. I wonder what it takes to hitch a ride home on the Ranger III during late season when they are closing down operations. I know people have done it.
Just a few years ago (2012?), the Park Service was taking a limited number of customers aboard the Ranger well into October. To my knowledge, they haven't done this recently. No idea why they stopped.
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

They stopped because it was not viable. They reserved 6 spaces for passengers during "cargo season" for a few years. To my knowledge, not once during that period were they able to fill those six places. As much as people talk about visiting the island during October, the fact is that weather and other challenges coupled with a remarkably low number of people make scheduled transportaion services cost prohibitive.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

I second the idea to try the Porkies, Sylvania, or Pictured Rocks. A little further trip would get them to Superior Hiking Trail, or canoe the Boundary Waters, or Voyageurs for late season wilderness with the possibility of getting iced in......and there is also Pukaska NP in Ontario for a serious rugged wilderness break where you can take the train into a roadless area and find your own way out! It might be too late to book for this year, but for a waycool eco-adventure at the end of October, go to Churchill Manitoba and see the polar bears gathering for migration on the shore of Hudson's Bay. An expensive trip, and not backpacking, but waycool on the edge of raw nature. There are several outfitters who run itineraries in and out of Churchill for about 4 days, over the 6 week "bear" season.

I imagine the Huron Mountains would be a glorious destination if it was public land instead of a private reserve!
madison.hofman
NewbieCake

Post by madison.hofman »

Hey! When is your fall break? I don't know when your fall break is or if you're still hoping to get to Isle Royale .... but we are trying to go too! My husband and I are going to all 59 national parks for the centennial anniversary of the NPS this year. We were supposed to be in Isle Royale weeks ago, but got way behind schedule because of vehicle problems. Such a bust. We HAVE to go, we can't wait until May to come back, since we're on the road right now and in the area. Anyways, if you guys find a way to get there this late in the season somehow, would you mind letting me know? I would be super grateful! Also, if you are still really set on going, maybe we could ask them to take all of us over to make the trip more worth it for them. Let me know what you think! :) if you are interested in figuring it out with us, email me at contact@ourvie.com :)
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

I wonder if this couple ever made to IR this season?