Noticed new Sea Plane departure arrival address in Hancock MI

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Stephen
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Noticed new Sea Plane departure arrival address in Hancock MI

Post by Stephen »

Noticed this at the top of their web page: Start your next adventure from our NEW HOME BASE—Portage Canal Seaplane Base in Hancock and the new address Portage Canal Seaplane Base
21125 Royce Road, Hancock, MI 49930. I see parking is $5/day. I am not at all familiar with this area having left last year from the airport and wondering if anyone has any information on this new change.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Noticed new Sea Plane departure arrival address in Hancock MI

Post by Ingo »

From the map it looks like it will be using the Keweenaw Waterway. I remember some years ago it did, before moving to the airport.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Looks like the parking costs with be the same as the airport. My guess is they are doing this to control operating costs. Will be more exciting for passengers, taking off from and landing on the Portage Ship Canal, offering some good views. Transit time will be the same, maybe even better service on occasion, not that they ever spent much time waiting for traffic control clearance. That address is actually in Ripley but there still will be several motel choices within a 1.5 to 2 mile walk.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Ingo wrote:From the map it looks like it will be using the Keweenaw Waterway. I remember some years ago it did, before moving to the airport.
At one point when Tom had the seaplane contract, he operated at the East end of the current NPS site. He then moved west on the waterway to the bend where the waterway turned to the NW. I don't recall the Dornier being amphibious. I thought I remembered a twin engine plane on floats, maybe from the NPS taking off and landing near Mott.
Stephen
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Stephen »

A person couldn't complain about the secure parking lot at the airport. Looking at google earth, it looks like the location is near or at a sports type center that sells snowmobiles/ATV's/marina. I will be finding out in 2017 for sure.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Stephen wrote:A person couldn't complain about the secure parking lot at the airport. Looking at google earth, it looks like the location is near or at a sports type center that sells snowmobiles/ATV's/marina. I will be finding out in 2017 for sure.
Personally, I would not be concerned about parking security (or personal security) anywhere in Houghton or Keweenaw Counties.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013