Proposed sea plane service from Grand Marais to IR

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Topic author
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Proposed sea plane service from Grand Marais to IR

Post by fonixmunkee » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:00 am

I'm excited about this proposal:

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/4 ... sle-royale

Although I think the leading sentence of the article is a little rude to our friends who provide boat service to IR...
Sometimes you feel like a nut :: http://twitter.com/fonixmunkee

Tom
Forum Moderator

Re: Proposed sea plane service from Grand Marais to IR

Post by Tom » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Interesting. I'm trying to decide who they see as their primary market... once we see ticket prices, that might provide clarity. For hikers (a frugal bunch), if you're going to Windigo, I can't imagine this being as tempting. Rock Harbor, sure; as it would be for the lodge contingent.
I know from both this forum and talking with others, there seems to be a transportation barrier in getting to the locations that can get you to the island... Unless you are in driving distance to a dock or the current Houghton Airport, it's not as easy to plan a trip to the Isle, which seems to start to exclude the folks (or adds significant costs/planning, like if you have to rent a car to only leave it parked for five days) from the further locations.
I don't know how the specifics of being a concessionaire with the NPS works, but I would love to see them offering a service (perhaps not daily, but based on business need or request) from an airport that someone can reasonably fly into from another commercial carrier. However, maybe that's a bit too much gas from say, Duluth/Superior.

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Ingo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:00 pm
.. but I would love to see them offering a service (perhaps not daily, but based on business need or request) from an airport that someone can reasonably fly into from another commercial carrier. However, maybe that's a bit too much gas from say, Duluth/Superior.
Service from Minneapolis would be great ;)! Heck it's usually twice as much to get to Duluth (or Houghton for that matter).

Tom
Forum Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:41 am

More detail: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHom ... ctId=63524

IRS proposes the following prices for Grand Marais Service
- Grand Marais to Tobin Harbor Round-Trip $380
- Grand Marais to Tobin Harbor One-Way $260
- Grand Marais to Windigo Round-Trip $290
- Grand Marais to Windigo One-Way $200