Proposed sea plane service from Grand Marais to IR

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Proposed sea plane service from Grand Marais to IR

Post by fonixmunkee »

I'm excited about this proposal:

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/4 ... sle-royale

Although I think the leading sentence of the article is a little rude to our friends who provide boat service to IR...
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Proposed sea plane service from Grand Marais to IR

Post by Tom »

Interesting. I'm trying to decide who they see as their primary market... once we see ticket prices, that might provide clarity. For hikers (a frugal bunch), if you're going to Windigo, I can't imagine this being as tempting. Rock Harbor, sure; as it would be for the lodge contingent.
I know from both this forum and talking with others, there seems to be a transportation barrier in getting to the locations that can get you to the island... Unless you are in driving distance to a dock or the current Houghton Airport, it's not as easy to plan a trip to the Isle, which seems to start to exclude the folks (or adds significant costs/planning, like if you have to rent a car to only leave it parked for five days) from the further locations.
I don't know how the specifics of being a concessionaire with the NPS works, but I would love to see them offering a service (perhaps not daily, but based on business need or request) from an airport that someone can reasonably fly into from another commercial carrier. However, maybe that's a bit too much gas from say, Duluth/Superior.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Tom wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:00 pm.. but I would love to see them offering a service (perhaps not daily, but based on business need or request) from an airport that someone can reasonably fly into from another commercial carrier. However, maybe that's a bit too much gas from say, Duluth/Superior.
Service from Minneapolis would be great ;)! Heck it's usually twice as much to get to Duluth (or Houghton for that matter).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

More detail: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHom ... ctId=63524

IRS proposes the following prices for Grand Marais Service
- Grand Marais to Tobin Harbor Round-Trip $380
- Grand Marais to Tobin Harbor One-Way $260
- Grand Marais to Windigo Round-Trip $290
- Grand Marais to Windigo One-Way $200