How long is layover at Windigo for Voyager?

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

How long is layover at Windigo for Voyager?

Post by Tightlines01 »

Hey all,

This summer will be my 8th trip to the island, but first time leaving from Grand Portage. I'll have taken all the commercial vessels after this :D

My route is to get dropped off at McCargoe and picked up at Malone a few days later. The question I started wondering about is how long is the layover in Windigo? I know the Voyager will come into Windigo, we'll get the typical ranger LNT talk, get our permits and then depart for McCargoe and other destinations. Similarly, on the return trip the Voyager will come around the south side, pick us up and stop in Windigo to pick up others for the return to Grand Portage?

Roughly how long is the layover in Windigo (both)? Will I have time to get any last minute supplies on the 1st one (like stove fuel or what) in the store? Will I have any time on the return to go into the store to purchase a souvenir shirt or something?

What should I plan on?

Thanks
Andy
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Re: How long is layover at Windigo for Voyager?

Post by treeplanter »

10 - 20 minutes? It's not long, that's for sure.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Outbound to IR (the morning stop): Long enough to hear the LNT talk, and get your permit.... But everyone is itching to get to going, and often the rangers will have the folks continuing on the boat permit first (while the others grab their gear) to expedite the time at dock. Don't be the reason the boat is waiting... :wink:
(Also, depending on hours and staff, the store might not even be open. Depends on the year and day, I think...)

Inbound from IR (the afternoon stop): It depends. There are some times the boat is running late (weather, etc) and so they'll ask passengers already on-board to stay on board, and they'll dock long enough to get the rest on. If the boat arrives anywhere near on-time, and all the expected passengers are already waiting, then it will also be a very quick stop. I'd say only when the boat arrives early, and not everyone is waiting on the dock, is the time opportune enough to ensure a visit to the store.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I once ran into the store quickly after getting our permit on an outbound stop, headed for McCargoe. Everyone else was on the boat as we ran down the hill. They won't leave you, but you will be embarrassed :oops: . I'd pick up all my supplies in Grand Marais on the way up (or earlier). And hope for a relaxed stop on the way home, but don't count on it.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

I kind of figured that'd be the response... I'll likely have everything for the outbound trip I need. I'll have to hope for a quick layover on the return as my twin boys will want a souvenir reward.

Is there much of a selection of shirts or Isle gear in MN if we don't have time on the return trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

I cannot recall anything at the dock in GP. Maybe a Voyager t-shirt? It is not like Haughton MI. You can probably find something in Grand Marais
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Tightlines01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:18 pm Is there much of a selection of shirts or Isle gear in MN if we don't have time on the return trip?
Not that I know of. There maybe something at the convenience store in G.P., but I don't remember much. Best suggestion I have is to order something before the trip from IRKPA.org. Not a wide selection, but I do really like the snowflake t-shirt, which they have in youth sizes (but not in my size :( )
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

Tightlines01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:18 pm......Is there much of a selection of shirts or Isle gear in MN if we don't have time on the return trip?......
The place where you park at Grand Portage sells T-shirts. The Voyager folks sell their T-shirts in the same building too. It's just a few hundred feet from the dock.