Last minute October trip to IR

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

nickybates92
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Last minute October trip to IR

Post by nickybates92 »

After spending a week on the Minong this summer I'm itching to get back for a few days before the island closes for good October 31. At this point, it looks like I'd have to charter my own transportation to and from the island. Is that possible? Does anyone know of any boats leaving from Michigan this late in the season? Is this crazy?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Last minute October trip to IR

Post by Midwest Ed »

All of the four commercial carriers have ceased operations for the year. Private boat or charter are your options. I know of at least one fishing charter that makes runs to The Island. I'm sure they (or someone similar) would be very expensive, several hundred dollars per day and that's assuming they are even interested.
Sand Point Charters
and
Sand Point Charters home webpage

I was having dinner in Houghton last week and happened to bump into a guy who had just driven in from Denver. He said he was planning to head to the Island the next day, telling me he knew it was open until the end of October. I told him the ferries and plane were shut down for the season. He insisted he was going to try anyway.

I have to admit it would be pretty amazing to spend several days on the Island over the next couple of weeks. I almost drove from Michigan to Minnesota last Tuesday, just so I might spend the last night of the commercial season (Wednesday, Oct 4th) in Windigo.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013