Ranger question (and bonus pasty query)

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Ranger question (and bonus pasty query)

Post by torpified »

I'm sure this has been dealt with before, but I'm not a savvy enough searcher to have hit paydirt:

When do you *really* need to arrive at the dock to be comfortably (for a worrywort) on time for the 9 am departure from Houghton? We're going early next week; we'll have tickets in hand but baggage to drop off and a car to park.

Also, I am not wise in the ways of pasties. I have this idea that we could get some at Roys the morning we sail, and have them for lunch during the crossing. Is that sane -- I mean, are they sufficiently portable, contained, and durable for that plan to work?
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Ranger question (and bonus pasty query)

Post by IncaRoads »

From the FAQ section on the NPS Isle Royale web site...

What is the scheduled time of departure from Houghton, Michigan?
The Ranger III departs Houghton for Isle Royale at 9:00 am EDT, Tuesday and Friday through the passenger season. Passengers are asked to arrive by 8:00 am EDT; Canoes/kayaks should arrive by 7:45 am EDT and private boats at 7:30 am EDT.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Pastys were originally created and adopted as the dinner meal for miners, first by the Cornish in the UK and then by the Finns and others in the UP. It's basically a meat pot pie but all self contained, sort of resembling a Pop-Tart, except it's thick and plump. The miners would wrap them in a napkin and carry them in their lunch pail. At dinner time they would unwrap it, dust it off and enjoy a still warm meal. Culinary-wise, they are pretty basic and most people add ketchup or gravy to combat the typical dryness (they are not "soupy" like a pot pie). Still, I like them plain and they can be eaten easily like a sandwich. Roy's is my choice in Houghton (they open at 7 am). Pasty's have evolved at Roy's into several varieties. They even have a breakfast one. I say you get at least 2 with one being the traditional recipe. You can always save it for later because they do indeed travel well.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Midwest Ed wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:55 am Culinary-wise, they are pretty basic and most people add ketchup or gravy to combat the typical dryness (they are not "soupy" like a pot pie).

Good to know! We'll bring the HP sauce.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

Pasties are a perfect food to bring on the Ranger. Self-contained, rich, hearty, and will stick with you for a long time. If you get them hot and fresh, no sauce needed at all (ketchup vs. gravy is a holy war). Roy's has excellent pasties... you'll want to plan to pick up some frozen ones to take back home after the return trip, too.