Wendigo to Rock Harbor-Transport

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

troop402miamisburg
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Wendigo to Rock Harbor-Transport

Post by troop402miamisburg »

Our Boy Scout Troop is planning a trip to the island in June the beginning part. We were going to take a seaplane but from the chatter around here that does not seem a viable option any longer. Our original plan was to start at Rock Harbor and hike to Wendigo and get picked up there. So with the seaplane presumably out of commission is there a water taxi I can take from there back to Rock Harbor and if so how do I get a hold of it?

Thanks
mihiker
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Wendigo to Rock Harbor-Transport

Post by mihiker »

Voyager - Monday, Wednesday and Saturdays in June.

http://www.isleroyaleboats.com/schedule.asp

BTW, did you review the NPS group size restrictions?
Seven or more requires special permit & reservations.
troop402miamisburg
NewbieCake

Yes we did, Our group is going to be lean 3 scouts and 2 adults. Makes for cheaper transport getting there.

Thanks for the info!
troop402miamisburg
NewbieCake

That is not going to work. We are arriving Rock harbor On Sartday and making it to Wendigo Friday Night. According to that we would not get thier until after the ferry leaves and we would be marooned there until Monday.

Anyone have some solutions????

Thanks
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Saturday - Arrive in R.H., camp at Rock Harbor
Sunday - Take the Voyageur II from Rock Harbor to Windigo
Then hike the opposite direction, Windigo to R.H. That may push the itinerary, but something to consider.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

If you are driving, check the time/distance Houghton vs Grand Portage MN. You may want to just take the Voyageur on a Saturday and return a week from Sunday, although that may be a problem with the adults' vacation schedules since you would probably arrive home Monday.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather