Getting to and around the park

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

greatlaker
NewbieCake

Getting to and around the park

Post by greatlaker »

I am considering a trip to Isle Royale. I'd be flying to CMX, but from there, I'm not sure what I should do. Should I take the Ranger III or Queen IV to the park? I know that the Queen IV can be a bumpy ride. Is the Ranger III a smooth ride? Also, is the Ranger III's scenery on the Portage Ship Canal good? Good enough to do the Ranger III rather than the Queen IV? And finally, is the Ranger III's trip time 5 or 6 hours?

And now to transportation on the island - the water taxi is more expensive than the Sightseers. Is the additional cost on the water taxi worth it... or should I use the sightseers instead? Thanks and I hope to make it to the park.
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Getting to and around the park

Post by Don_P »

I have a strong preference for the Queen IV for two reasons. 1) Shorter boat ride. 2) Copper Harbor is a great place to visit. The ride on the Queen IV is much more smooth than the Queen III.
greatlaker
NewbieCake

Post by greatlaker »

Don_P wrote:The ride on the Queen IV is much more smooth than the Queen III.
Which one is smoother?
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

Go on the Queen, the ride is fine and you won't grow old on the trip. What are you referring to as "the sightseer"?
greatlaker
NewbieCake

Post by greatlaker »

Capt Don wrote:Go on the Queen, the ride is fine and you won't grow old on the trip. What are you referring to as "the sightseer"?
I meant to write M.V. Sandy... sorry for the confusion.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi Greatlaker,

If you are flying to CMX a taxi to Houghton will cost around $8 and a taxi to Copper Harbor will run over $50 (each way). You will also have a bit of a wait coming back from CH since the closest taxi to Copper Harbor is based in Calumet 40 miles away.
Houghton Taxi 482-5515, Calumet taxi 337-5233.

The Queen takes around 3+ hours and the Ranger around 6 hours. The Queen arrives on IR around noon and the Ranger around 3. The ship canal is scenic but not THAT scenic. The Ranger is a larger boat and also includes AV presentations on the Island and a purser who will help you plan and register for your itinerary; when you get off the Queen you have to stand on the dock for a lecture and then stand in line to register.

I believe the M.V. Sandy IS the water taxi - the rate difference is that when you book it for yourself it is a private charter, whereas the sightseeing trips are scheduled in advance and open to everyone. The destinations for the sightseeing trips are pretty limited. You can of course use the Voyageur to get to Daisy Farm, Chippewa Harbor, Malone Bay, or Windigo from RH, but you will need to overnight in RH to catch it and you need to make sure you arrive the day before a scheduled Voyageur stop in RH.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Keweenaw wrote: ... I believe the M.V. Sandy IS the water taxi...
Nope, they're different boats. If the schedule of the M.V. Sandy meets your needs and schedule for getting around the Rock Harbor area, by all means use it. Whether the cost of the water taxi justifies the flexibility all depends on what you want to do. You can get details from the lodge, who run both.

If I were flying in to CMX I'd definitely take the Ranger III rather than worry about getting to/from Copper Harbor. Obviously there isn't one answer and you won't go wrong either way. One thing you do get on the Ranger is a scenic ride up Rock Harbor--it also makes a stop at the park HQ on Mott Island to unload supplies, before you get to the lodge (this also accounts for the longer trip).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
greatlaker
NewbieCake

Post by greatlaker »

Ingo wrote:One thing you do get on the Ranger is a scenic ride up Rock Harbor--it also makes a stop at the park HQ on Mott Island to unload supplies, before you get to the lodge (this also accounts for the longer trip).
How long is the stop at Mott Island? Is getting off at Mott Island and and taking a water taxi from there to Rock Harbor an option? If so, what is Mott Island like and is it worth visiting?
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

The stop at Mott is generally 20 to 30 min, but sometimes can be longer. While you could schedule a water taxi from Mott Island, it would not really be worth the extra effort required. The water taxi's home is Rock Harbor, and since the Ranger is going there anyway, you are better off just taking the taxi from Rock Harbor. You also have to remember that all travel on the lake is subject to the weather and lake conditions at the time and your schedule needs to be flexible.
greatlaker
NewbieCake

Post by greatlaker »

niners wrote:You also have to remember that all travel on the lake is subject to the weather and lake conditions at the time and your schedule needs to be flexible.
I'd have a flexible schedule in the case a cancellation, but how often do cancellations occur?
greatlaker
NewbieCake

Post by greatlaker »

When should I make reservations for the ferry to Isle Royale? And if I take the Ranger III, would it be to risky to take the 5:25 flight to MSP on the same day?
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

You'd be cutting it close, but should make it. Check with the Park - I think the Ranger usually returns to dock in Houghton around 3. Figure a half-hour to get your gear and call a cab, 15 minutes to the airport, you SHOULD be able to get to check-in by 4.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather