Rock Harbor Lodge

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Chocokitty
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Rock Harbor Lodge

Post by Chocokitty »

I feel terrible about posting this here, because it appears that all of you are experienced overnight backpackers.

My husband and I have been dreaming about seeing Isle Royale for years. We're both avid day hikers, but neither of us is a camper. I noticed in my research that staying at Rock Harbor Lodge might be an option.

However, I'm wondering if there are reasonable day hikes on Isle Royale - an out-and-back from the Lodge - 10-12 hours total? Can anyone recommend a particular itinerary?

Thanks for any guidance on this!
Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: Rock Harbor Lodge

Post by Mandolynn »

Greetings Chocokitty!
At last... someone asks a question that a day hiker can answer!
The answer is yes, there are lovely day hikes that you can make from the lodge. Of course there is the little short jaunt up to Scoville Point and back (a loop hike, just half a day at most.) But you can also make an all day hike up to Mt. Franklin and back (same route both ways.) Or, for about the same time investment, you can arrange a boat ride to Hidden Lake, hike up to Lookout Louise, and then hike to Mt. Franklin via the Greenstone and then back to the lodge. The third option is my favorite because you don't have to backtrack. But here is my caveat: if you stay in the lodge with meals included, you have to get back to Rock Harbor in time to get your supper. I HATE that. I hate being pressured to get back in time to eat. I only stayed in the lodge once. I vowed I never would again for that reason. I would much rather stay in the cabins and have access to food whenever I want it. That way if you want to linger on the trails in the early evening hours, you have the freedom to do it.

Don't be intimidated about coming to the island just because backpacking is not for you. Yes, the lodge is expensive, but if you're not Becky Boone, it can give you the jumping off point you need to spend quality time in a very special place. Come look for moose with moose lovers like me! :D :D
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

Welcome! No need to feel terrible ... the lodge is a great base for day trips. If your room stay includes meals (lodge not cabin), you can pre-order a sack lunch that you pick up at breakfast so you can be out all day. Assuming you are back in Rock Harbor in the evening, the ranger talks are always interesting.

My first trip to the island was with the family, and we stayed at the lodge and did day hikes. None of us were experienced then, so we did short day hikes and mixed it up with some paddling & boating. It's a great way to see the east end of the island!

If I were planning this trip, I'd consider these options:
- afternoon/evening stroll: visit Scoville point
- longer trip (11 miles or so): get a lift to Hidden Lake, then hike back to Rock Harbor. Visit Monument rock, Lookout Louise, Mt. Franklin, and Suzy's cave en route.
- rent a rowboat w/motor and visit the Rock Harbor Lighthouse, then head over to Daisy Farm for lunch. From Daisy I'd do an up & back to the Ojibway fire tower before returning to Rock Harbor. You could also visit the short trails on Raspberry Island and Mott Island.
- rent a canoe/double kayak and tour around ... you can either start on the Rock Harbor or the Tobin Harbor side.

I don't know how long you are planning on spending on the island, but 10-12 hours of day hiking gives you plenty of time to cover lots of ground by foot.

(I see Mandolynn posted while I was typing ... looks like two votes for a ride to Hidden Lake and stroll back to Rock Harbor)
Chocokitty
NewbieCake

Post by Chocokitty »

Thank you both for excellent suggestions - I had forgotten that there are cabins as well. Those sound like a terrific option.

Thanks again!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Welcome to the forums, no need to be apologetic, anyone who has an interest in Isle Royale is welcome. The folks who post here are very knowledgeable about the trails and waterways of the Island and are happy to share their knowledge and experience. Besides the good info you have aleady received, I would make the suggestion to try some of the activities offered through the Lodge such as the trip to the Edison Fishery or Passage Island. Another option for hiking would be to rent one of the motorboats to head down to Moskey Basin and day hike from there to Chippewa or Daisy Farm and hike up to Mt Ojibway.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Hey Chocokitty,
I spent a summer at R.H. many years ago and did many day hikes from there--most common out to Scoville Pt after supper. I only have a couple thoughts to add the good info already posted. If you are up to it (literally), sunrise from Scoville Pt can be fantastic, although you need to leave an hour or more before sunrise (I only did it once). Similarly, Raspberry Island is great for sunsets--the lodge used to take folks over in a boat after dinner, but I don't know if they still do. It's just across the harbor from the lodge. And last, I'd suggest picking up the Trails Illustrated map of I.R.--it's probably not a necessity, but I think you'll find it useful even for day hiking. If your local outdoors shop doesn't have it, this is a good place to order it http://www.irnha.org/
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

in 2006, there was a couple that came over on the VII with Kari and me. They were retired and spending the summer driving around the Great Lakes. They spent the entire 6 days at the lodge, doing side trips and hikes. When we saw them again after our pickup at Chippewa Harbor, they said they it was well worth the effort to stop and explore Isle Royale, even if they didn't backpack it.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Kevinl
Bushwacker

Post by Kevinl »

Hi Chocokitty.

I don't know how much you're interested in "roughing it" but this might be a fun way to see even more of the island. The Voyageur circles the island every couple days. There are many shelters at Windigo, on the opposite side of the island, and great opportunities to see moose, and less people. No beds in the shelters, but if you bring sleeping pads and bags they can be pretty comfortable (of course, that's relative). There is a store. There is great day hiking (especially to Huginnin Cove or Grace Overlook). And the Voyageur is a fun way to see a lot more of the island. Don't know if you have the time or inclination, but I thought I'd throw it out there as one more option.

Whatever you do, I hope you have a blast.
Chocokitty
NewbieCake

Post by Chocokitty »

Thanks for the terrific tips, everyone!

Last night I had the excited thought that I could spend my 50th birthday there but then I remembered - nope. My birthday is in December :)

Ah well, will have to celebrate earlier in the year when IR is open.

Can't wait - my husband and I have dreamed about this for a long time.
loreeh
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by loreeh »

Hi Chocokitty,
I'm celebrating my 50th by doing my first solo backpack trip this June on IR. I've been there 4 times so feel pretty comfortable. You've gotten good tips on what to do. The east end is mostly my favorite area. I would definitely go across tobin harbor, rent a canoe, you get a half day rental free for staying in lodge, then go to Lookout Louise, it's a beautiful view of the 5 fingers bay area. Hidden Lake usually has moose with their heads under the water as there's natural salt in there I've been told. It's a wonderful place. I'm hooked since going the 1st time in 2005. Have fun.
Loree