Copper Harbor Lodging

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Bkrnclmbr
NewbieCake

Copper Harbor Lodging

Post by Bkrnclmbr »

I plan on staying overnight in Copper Harbor on Aug. 14th before taking the Queen over in the morning, and would like some input on where to stay in Copper Harbor. I'm not picky, and just need somewhere to lay my head overnight (i doubt I'll be able to sleep anyway because of the excitement :) ). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

-Matt
loreeh
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Re: Copper Harbor Lodging

Post by loreeh »

I haven't been to Copper Harbor but know there's the Bella Vista Motel right by where the Queen takes off. I met one of the owner's last year on IR. Others have stayed there and said it was ok. Google Copper Harbor and there's a few other places also.
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by ScoutDad »

Hi Matt:

Lots of places availabe in the area, you can view them at http://www.copperharbor.org/lodging_s.html

I've heard & read good things about the King Copper Motel, and have booked a room there myself for early August; it's right next to the dock.

I stayed at the Lake Fanny Hooe Lakeside Motel in 2002; it was clean and nice, although I see that tripadvisor.com currently has 2 good reviews and 2 unfavorable reviews regarding management. There may have been an owner change?

You can always stay at the Ft. Wilkins State Park campground; $15.00 for a night, showers available. A state park parking permit is required; in state resident daily permits are $6, non-resident are $8.

in 2004 I stayed in the group camping area with my scout troop the night before we left for IR; and had an interesting encounter with a bear trying to break into our gear trailer...it's in my 2004 trip report I posted on the forum.
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
Bkrnclmbr
NewbieCake

Post by Bkrnclmbr »

I was looking into the Ft. Wilkins State park myself, primarily from a cost standpoint. Approximately how far is it from the docks? I'm just trying to determine whether or not the cost savings would be justifiable (jumping in a hotel room after an 11 hr drive and sleeping on a bed versus setting up a mini camp at the state park and sleeping on the ground after an 11 hr drive). I also want to make sure i wake up in plenty of time to get to the ferry in the morning.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

In 2007, Fort Wilkins was full so we ended up at Lake Fanny Hooe. Both Wilkins and Hooe appeared to be set up for trailer campers. Not much grass space for the tent, but it was for one night. It was pretty cheap too. If it's raining, you might opt for a motel.. It would sure beat camping in the rain. You can wait til you get to the Island for that. The gift shop at the Copper Harbor dock featured Isle Royale gifts a lot cheaper than those on the Island.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by ScoutDad »

Bkrnclmbr wrote:I was looking into the Ft. Wilkins State park myself, primarily from a cost standpoint. Approximately how far is it from the docks? I'm just trying to determine whether or not the cost savings would be justifiable (jumping in a hotel room after an 11 hr drive and sleeping on a bed versus setting up a mini camp at the state park and sleeping on the ground after an 11 hr drive). I also want to make sure i wake up in plenty of time to get to the ferry in the morning.
Ft. Wilkins is about 1 mile east of the dock...it's a 5 minute drive tops.

And ditto on what Philranger said about the gift shop at the dock...MUCH cheaper than on the Island (21% surcharge if I remember correctly).
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
Bkrnclmbr
NewbieCake

Post by Bkrnclmbr »

Thanks for the helpful insight on the state parks and motels. I will most likely go with a motel just to keep things simple in the morning, and to try my best to get a good nights sleep before arriving on the island. I will also keep the gift shop info in mind.

-Matt
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

ScoutDad wrote:And ditto on what Philranger said about the gift shop at the dock...MUCH cheaper than on the Island (21% surcharge if I remember correctly).
Remember that the surcharge does help keep the park operating :D.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

Ingo wrote:
ScoutDad wrote:And ditto on what Philranger said about the gift shop at the dock...MUCH cheaper than on the Island (21% surcharge if I remember correctly).
Remember that the surcharge does help keep the park operating :D.

Aren't those run by outside concessions and not the park...I know the park makes money on it but most goes to them if I remember my Parks and Rec class correctly from years ago.

BTW: I stayed at the Pines last year...was fine for us we had a 2 bedroom w/kitchen area, plenty of room and we ate there for breakfast before the boat ride (I think it was like $60)
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

I guess I was somewhat mistaken about the surcharge. From the NPS website...

"Isle Royale Resorts operates facilities and services at Windigo and Rock Harbor on Isle Royale. A utility surcharge will be added to the cost of all facilities, goods, and services provided by Isle Royale Resorts. This represents utility costs over and above the costs of providing similar utility services by a mainland utility."

It does keep the showers going in any case :) . And the restaurant, stores, lodge, etc....
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
laqtis
NewbieCake

Post by laqtis »

I'd like to bump this thread for suggestions for CH lodging. After experiencing last season, does anyone have any suggestions for affordable (not economic) level digs? We have a group of five coming up late August.
k2one
NewbieCake

Post by k2one »

Bella Vista is the place to stay!!!!!
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

My buddy and I stayed at a motel in Copper Harbor a couple years ago after our last trip. I don't remember the name of the motel but, it was just to the west of the Isle Royale Queen dock and office. Our room looked out over the harbor and we saw the Queen from there and even took a few time exposures of her. Like I said, I don't remember the name but, it was inexpensive, clean and the staff was friendly. I think we only paid $40/night.
larrysheldon
NewbieCake

Post by larrysheldon »

Just stayed at the Brockaway Inn. Cheap, clean, you could walk to the boat from there. They run a special: if you stay on the way back it's half price. Also don't miss driving up Brockaway mountain. Great views and you can call home from up there.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I've stayed at a number of places in and around Copper Harbor. I'd rank them this way (gut feeling without much criteria - if I don't mention it, I never stayed there):

Cabins:
Bella Vista (best value especially pre and post "season" - but don't be taken in by the cabin with the fireplace, the flue doesn't work well and even with windows open the cabin gets very smoky, nice cabin otherwise) (I like the owners and she never stops working on the place)

Keeweenaw Mountain Lodge (a mile or so from CH; a bit pricey; nice fireplaces, most cabins are rustic, log cabin "duplexes" and you can hear your neighbors walk across the floor and, in the main room you can even hear them talking) (owned and operated by the county, now; the management was exceptionally helpful to me (even as a non-guest) recently when my brakes went out - way beyond anything I would expect anywhere)

Eagle Lodge (newer, clean, well equiped; a few miles from CH, but the resort is right on the Lake - only two LARGE cabins actually on the lake) (if you're not into old and quaint, the smaller cabins are the ones for you)

Rooms:
All good:
Bella Vista (but I haven't stayed in one of their rooms in years - just their cabins; nonetheless, the rooms look clean, tidy and up-to-date)

King Copper (though last time I was there I got their last room, hopefully they seldom fill that one)

Brockway Inn (free Coffee House coffee in season; also nice owners, maybe needs a little more attention) (as mentioned above, they have their Isle Royale special - half price on the room on your return if you stay before and after you go)

Not as good:
Harbor Lights Inn (but I think they're under new management - look around outside the place and ask to see the room first)

Too long ago for a valid comment:
Fanny Hooe Motel (stayed there 4 or 5 days one winter - nice but noisy partying-late neighbors ruined a couple of nights)