Restaurant in Copper Harbor area??

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Restaurant in Copper Harbor area??

Post by Rafiki »

The Keweenaw Mountain Lodge Restaurant (where the golf course is attached) located just 3 or so miles from Copper Harbor was pretty tasty. It seemed like everyone elses choice when we got back from the island during the Queens first week of operation. I don't recall what the story was, but I do not believe the Harbor Haus was opened this early in the season, or that it was closed on the specific day we got back, or if it had already closed for the day by the time we got back. Either way we never made it there, but we heard great things about it. Plus they dance and way to the Queen while you pass by when they are opened to I figured why not give them a try if there going to do a jig and a dance for us island vistors. Don't care for the Grand Mariner. It was good about a decade ago when I first went to the island, but it just doesn't do it for me nowadays. They didn't cook our burgers to the requested temperature and my girlfriend and I were not fond of the crab/seafood/whatever it was dip and chips thing. The menu is to expansive. It seems like its a great place to grab a beer though. The Tamarack in was a great place to get breakfast at. The service was great and the food was pretty good too. I remembered we were running late and I told the lady we needed some food on the fly while we raced back to our car to prepare somethings. By the time we go back our food was sitting on the table. We were only able to eat half of it since we were in such a hurry, but the waitress was kind enough to wrap the rest it up for us to we could eat the remainder of the meal on the Queen. I love good service. I think our bill was $12 and I made sure I gave the lady $25 and told her to keep the change. I couldn't have asked for more with the rushed service she gave us.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
JonG
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by JonG »

I took my wife and son to CH last August and ate at the Tamarack and Mariner North. I had eaten at both places several times before over the last decade and my impression last August was not very favorable compared to my memory of past visits. Our server at the Mariner was not available for most of our meal, we never got refills even though there didn't seem to be many customers and the food was mediocre at best[some kind of gumbo like cajun concoction]. There were many flies buzzing around and landing on our food. I can accept that on the island, but not at a restaurant. My wife was even less tolerant.

I was disappointed at the Tamarack as well. I know it isn't fancy, but in the past I remember it having good food and decent service. We arrived at the posted opening time for dinner and were told they were a little behind schedule in opening for dinner. We chose to wait outside. A man on a 4 wheeler drove up after a few minutes with a box of bug killer and went inside. A few minutes later we and several other groups were allowed in. The head waitress instructed us to sit at a table near the front door very near the main traffic flow, and was downright rude when we requested a different empty table at the back of the restaurant. The place had an overpowering smell of Raid. My broasted chicken was still raw in the center and was sent back.

On a positive note though, we did enjoy our stay at the King Copper Motel. The lakeside room was comfortable and my wife even liked the retro like atmosphere.
honouredamongfoxes
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by honouredamongfoxes »

A little over the top maybe, but since I'm coming from so far away, the Gulf of Mexico, great food can influence my choice of departure. 4th trip coming up: 2 prior from GP, one from CH. I'm going back to CH. The combo of Epic mtb trails (one extra day) and THE HARBOR HAUS (OMG!!!! Is it still as fine??!!??) - Got me being a KEWEE wannabe.
Fred
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

My last time in Copper Harbor (Fall, 2010), The Harbor Haus was just as good as it ever was. Some of the best food I have ever had and a great wine/beer selection. I look forward to it at the end of every trip out of Copper Harbor. It is hard to believe there is a 5 star restaurant located there.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
lzc
NewbieCake

Post by lzc »

Thanks so much for the recommendations! Harbour Haus was fantastic. Can't believe we found an authentic B&B (Benedictine and Brandy) in Copper Harbor when our Indiana friends can't find one there!