Queen Held Up on Isle Royale by Storms

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Queen Held Up on Isle Royale by Storms

Post by Tom »

I think the Fitz was brought down by waves in the 30-35' range. Just because she's a "Lake" doesn't mean Superior can't generate some massive swells.
Our family has a cabin on the South Shore near the Apostle Islands. This time of year, when the 'Nor-easters become more prevalent, you can get some big wave action coming down the lake. It indeed is fun to watch from land; although a few storms and cold have brought an interesting phenomena - The cabin, which sets up about 60' off lake level (up a steep hill) can get pelted by ice crystals when the big crashing waves shoot up a mist that instantly freezes, and then blows on the wind to the cabin.
Hurts like heck when you go out to watch the waves, only to have your face get pelted by the sandblaster...
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

I was talking to one of the crew on our way over to IR 2 weeks ago about this and he told me this article was BS. He said that they were only stranded there for one day. Then he and the girl from the RH store asked where I heard this info and I told him from the mining gazette and they both laughed and she told me in highschool they used to proof read the paper for errors.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

When I was a student at Michigan Tech, now this was 35 years ago, I had a Humanities professor (who still teaches there) that told us the Mining Gazette was used at journalism schools all around the country as an example of how NOT to publish a paper. LOL :oops:
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Just got back at 5:45 a.m. this morning from Isle Royale NP. 2+ days late. The Queen arrived at dock at 5:45 p.m on Tuesday. They put those of us who were supposed to leave on the boat Sunday afternoon on first and then those who were to go on Monday on the boat next. The senior captain (40 years) said that the two day cancellation has never happened before. He did a lottery for the remaining few seats from those others scheduled to leave on Tuesday.

Those who had just arrived looked like they had had a rough trip. The captain said they went through a few ten and 11 foot waves.

We had an interesting two days (more later). We left the dock twice, the second time for good at 6:39 p.m. Our trip back averaged 4-7 foot waves plus a few deeper. The captain, crew and boat arrived safely at 10:40 p.m. The captain said the gale force winds had been blowing for 70 hours straight at that point in time. There were a few sick folks, not sure how I and many others weren't among them. Ate at the Mariner after 11 that night (Amber draft tasted great!), stayed at the King Copper (Copper King?) in their last vacancy.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

I see a typing error I made the other day. We got back at 10:20 p.m. (Tuesday 8-17-10) on the Queen and had our gear in hand by 10:40 p.m.
jasoon
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by jasoon »

Just got back. We were on the Sunday trip that turned around, it was rough to say the least, few on the ship were not ill. We made it out about 6 miles from shore in 30-40 minutes and started hitting 12'ers. We were disappointed to return to dock, but it would have been a hell trip to complete. Enjoyed exploring Copper Harbor, Estivant Pines and wandering the shore in high winds. Finally made it out Tuesday, it was rough, but a cake walk comparatively speaking. A lot of unplanned adventures and set backs but morale was high and it was an wonderful trip. I'll let everyone know when I get up trip report up.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

There is nothing quite like standing at the bow of the Queen while she's in a wave trough and then looking UP at a wall of water 10 to 15 feet ABOVE you. What comes close is maybe when she comes off a crest too quickly and slams into the trough with a thunderous crack and boom.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
sandystAR
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by sandystAR »

I lucked out on my first outgoing and returning trips. I left on Thursday, Aug 19th and sailed on calm waters. I watched the Queen come in late Wednesday (from my motel room at King Copper) evening after making 2 trips that day. My return trip was on Monday, Aug 23rd. The waves were a little higher (2-3 feet) but the weather was great. There was bad weather before my trip, during and after but I was able to sail smoothly inbetween all that. :)
laqtis
NewbieCake

Post by laqtis »

We had calm seas both ways: 8/21 and 8/26. Thanks again Captains!