Ranger III to Windigo?

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

agongos
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Ranger III to Windigo?

Post by agongos »

This past June 27th, according to the printed schedule in the "Greenstone" paper, the Ranger III went directly from Houghton to Windigo. The only time the boat went to Windigo all year. Does anyone know if this occurs every June? Or, was this a one time thing? Reason I ask is that I would like to depart Houghton and go to Windigo next year on the Ranger III, and then kayak eastward to Rock Harbor. I think this would be easier than kayaking east to west. There's a lot more wind out of the west than there is out of the east, and it sure would be nice to take advantage of that. And we wouldn't need the Voyager to ferry us around the Island back to Rock Harbor for the trip home to Houghton aboard the Ranger. We're still looking for more paddlers to join our group. Anyone interested?
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Re: Ranger III to Windigo?

Post by niners »

They have done trips to Windigo the last two seasons. This past year just the one trip, but in the 2008 season they made the trip 3 times. The park service would like to do the Windigo trip more often, but they have not had much success in booking passengers.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

The Ranger can get into Windigo? :shock:
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

The Ranger can get into Windigo?
Yep. The Ranger delivers fuel, equipment, and supplies to Windigo. She makes trips there in the spring and fall to open and close the park. She docks on the West side of the dock at Windigo.
greg
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 28

Post by greg »

I just received an answer from the IR ranger staff regarding the Ranger's going to Windigo as a passenger run. Unfortunately, the Park Service will not be scheduling a Ranger to Windigo option this year. No reason was given but I have to believe it did not raise sufficient revenue to continue it. GR
Greg M. Romaneck