"What are you spending your REI dividend on?" 2010 edition

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

MeganP
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: "What are you spending your REI dividend on?" 2010 editi

Post by MeganP »

My dividend was only $4.85, boo. But I took that and the 20 percent off coupon and bought some Black Diamond trekking poles online last weekend. I am super excited to try them out. It was a doctor-recommended purchase after I had surgery for a torn meniscus in my knee last December. The poles will replace my $15 Target pole that has seen more miles than I ever expected it to. Let's hope these $100 ones ($80 after the discount) don't get wrecked. I'm too hard on gear.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

I hope your knee surgery works so you can keep enjoying the trails.

I actually hurt my knee for the first time several years ago when we were hiking the Porcupine Mountains (Michigan). It actually hurt so bad when I went to sleep that first night that I was seriously considering hiking to the next side trail "exit" and calling the trip. Fortunately, the next morning the pain was not as intense, although it was still there, and we finished the hike. The knee pain returned for a second time a couple years ago when we were hiking the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail (Pennsylvania). It started early on in the trip and became rather intense again near the end. Unfortunately, the pain persisted for almost two months after I returned home. And, to this day, if my leg is bent the wrong way for too long or it gets to much stress in certain types of activity, then the discomfort flairs up. Now I just try to take the trails a little slower and be more cautious, especially over rocky terrain or steep descents. I really try to rely more on my hiking pole now.

Ya know, it's better to be hard on your gear and let it take the beating as opposed to your body taking the majority of the wear-and-tear of hiking.

Good luck!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Went to the flagship REI store yesterday. It's BIG! But really just more of the same you can get in our little one. Was fun anyways. Nice to see tents and gear set up, which they don't have room for back home.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Ingo wrote:Went to the flagship REI store yesterday. It's BIG! But really just more of the same you can get in our little one. Was fun anyways. Nice to see tents and gear set up, which they don't have room for back home.
Did you go to their bargain basement in the Seattle REI? They have some great deals down there.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

fonixmunkee wrote:
Ingo wrote:Went to the flagship REI store yesterday. It's BIG! But really just more of the same you can get in our little one. Was fun anyways. Nice to see tents and gear set up, which they don't have room for back home.
Did you go to their bargain basement in the Seattle REI? They have some great deals down there.
No, didn't find the bargain basement. It was just a quick stop to get some better urban hiking shoes for my wife (don't know what she was thinking when she packed :shock:)
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
kfinnguy
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by kfinnguy »

We just became members today!
"The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences."
— Chris McCandless
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I just bought the MSR Reactor stove system. It's similar to a JetBoil, but supposedly twice as efficient (and the JetBoil is already very efficient). I'll do a little report after I kick the tires with it the first week of May: http://www.rei.com/product/736977
sgerbs
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by sgerbs »

Apparently what I purchased at REI was not "dividend friendly" because I did not get one. Ah well.
2009: MC, WC, HL, SLD, WC
k2one
NewbieCake

Post by k2one »

I buy a lot of stuff on sale so it isn't " Dividend Friendly ". It wasn't much but I at least got a sleeping pad and a few other odds and ends.Every time I go to REI I complain about changing the policy of sale items not included in your dividend but to no avail. Even tried to e-mail corporate, no go.