What Else Do I Need?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: What Else Do I Need?

Post by ScoutDad »

Spare batteries for your headlamps.
- I also carry a small AM/FM/Wx radio that takes AA batteries...same as my headlamp so spare batteries fit both.
- Depending on the on/off switch on your headlamp, you may want to take a battery out of the lamp while it's in your pack...prevents your lamp from accidental dead batteries.

I also carry waxed dental floss and a sewing needle with a larger eye to make repairs to torn clothing or gear...AND to floss of course

I carry a lightweight back-up water purifier when traveling with my scouts...I described in a past post on this page: http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 3414#p3414
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
k2one
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by k2one »

Sunglasses and a good book!
SunEDay
NewbieCake

Post by SunEDay »

Don't mean to make anyone angry. No I do not work for the company.Human waste management in the wild is a growing concern. One of the problems is that most people do not want to discuss the issue. It is not something people talk about around the water cooler. In fact human waste management has reached a point that there is a global conference July 30-31 in Golden Colorado called Exit Strategies. How to manage Human Waste in the wild. There are still some openings if any one cares to go.

Shiting in a bag as you call it is nothing new. It has been mandated in many of our western national parks, and caves for many years because human waste has become a huge problem. We are just behind the times here but we need to catch up soon. Closer to home on the St.Croix National Scenic River way human waste management is a serious problem. See the article in the St. Paul Pioneer Press dated July 26, 2009. It states that portable toilets must be used not just packed into the island.

The problem with the bag method has been that they are cumbersome,messy and can smell. It has been easier for people to not use them. I have used the other bags on the market Restop 2, Wag Bag, and the Travel John and they will also do the job just not as well.

Sorry my enthusiasm for this new product has turned some of you off. Not everyone who is hiking or camping can plan when they will have to use a restroom. This is the best option I have found. I thought this is what forums where for, new ideas and education.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

SunEDay wrote:Don't mean to make anyone angry. No I do not work for the company.Human waste management in the wild is a growing concern. One of the problems is that most people do not want to discuss the issue. It is not something people talk about around the water cooler. In fact human waste management has reached a point that there is a global conference July 30-31 in Golden Colorado called Exit Strategies. How to manage Human Waste in the wild. There are still some openings if any one cares to go.

Shiting in a bag as you call it is nothing new. It has been mandated in many of our western national parks, and caves for many years because human waste has become a huge problem. We are just behind the times here but we need to catch up soon. Closer to home on the St.Croix National Scenic River way human waste management is a serious problem. See the article in the St. Paul Pioneer Press dated July 26, 2009. It states that portable toilets must be used not just packed into the island.

The problem with the bag method has been that they are cumbersome,messy and can smell. It has been easier for people to not use them. I have used the other bags on the market Restop 2, Wag Bag, and the Travel John and they will also do the job just not as well.

Sorry my enthusiasm for this new product has turned some of you off. Not everyone who is hiking or camping can plan when they will have to use a restroom. This is the best option I have found. I thought this is what forums where for, new ideas and education.

While I admire the stance you take on using the facilities in the backcountry, it seems supsect that your first post on a Forum about Isle Royale is promoting a product. I think the forum does a good job at discussions of products, ideas and approaches to enjoying the Outdoors. But again this is a forum about Isle Royale. So when are you planning on going to Isle Royale?
vitz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by vitz »

This is starting to sound like a dirty jobs episode. I will continue to use the latrine provided by the Park Service. When the Park Service decides it is not a good idea to @#$% in a pit, I will have to change.
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

Sun screen (even if it is cold out, you can still get burned)
General repair kit with duct tape, large needle and nylon thread, zip ties, plastic buckles, etc.
Long underwear (will also keep your sleeping bag clean)
Always, extra socks (always keep your feet as dry and grit free as possible)
I would have more then just mole skin, I would pack blister bandages since these can ruin a trip
Aspirin and/or sinus meds (you don't want to miss enjoyment of the trip because of a head ache, I need it for my back)