Good Backpacks (HELP)!

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

robin621
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Good Backpacks (HELP)!

Post by robin621 »

I've been using a backpack from the 1970's (Not Kidding) that was given to me from a fellow IR hiker and it has worked out fine, however, it is time for a new one. I usually travel for 7-10 days on the island when I go. I fish a lot too. I haven't seen a backpack that I've liked and my trip is coming up in 3 months. I've tried some on and I've done the Amazon thing. What brands should I be focusing on (quality)?
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Re: Good Backpacks (HELP)!

Post by Kevinl »

That's a pretty big question, and I'm sure you'll hear a lot of differing responses. It's also a fun question and I look forward to seeing what people have to say about it. Obviously you're looking for something big. What kind of price range are you thinking about?

I use the REI Flash 65 http://www.rei.com/product/778468 . For me, it's a good mix of value and comfort. If you have more specific questions about it I'd be happy to answer them.

I always use telescoping rods for fishing, so I don't need any special requirements for that.

I used to own a Gregory and it was a very good pack, but watch out for their Z series. The buckles aren't the best. But the packs are an amazing comfort.

I tried a friend's Osprey, and whoa! it was a sweet feeling thing too.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I'm a huge fan of Granite Gear packs. Not because they are locally designed (Minnesota), but because they work awesome. I've turned a lot of friends onto their packs, too.

I have used the Stratus Latitude for the past 6 years with zero problems: http://www.granitegearstore.com/Stratus ... P17C8.aspx

I can make a 7 day trip with this pack, but I'm also a lighter-weight backpacker. It's 4800 cubic inches, so that's enough for all my gear, some clothes (in compression sacks) and plenty of food and snacks. I think the recommended minimum pack size for a week-long trip is 5000 cubic inches, but I could be wrong. The floating lid in the pack and the stretch membrane in between the two zippers of vertical opening all that 4800 cubic inches of this pack to really expand.

I don't do a lot of fishing (successfully, at least) but I always bring my rod. I have a collapsable rod that breaks down in three pieces, and since this pack opens vertically, it's the perfect place to store longer items (they secure perfectly in the pack's compression straps without poking out over the top of bottom of the bag).

In essence, the pack is a big 4800 cubic inches and is feature-rich (floating lid compartment, vertical opening, hydration sleeve) and I'll never get rid of it. The quality is remarkable.

If you are interested in pursuing this pack--or other Granite Gear packs--let me know, and I can give you some fit & packing tips.
kfinnguy
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by kfinnguy »

I like my Moutainsmith external frame pack. Ive had it for 5 years and its never failed me. I dont think they make it anymore. But I trust Mountainsmith.
"The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences."
— Chris McCandless
LarryL
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by LarryL »

I bought a Jansport Ranier external frame in 2001 and have used it ever since. A friend borrowed it for the AT after using internals for the previous 2 backpacking trips and really liked it since it is so easy to pack and to find things. It may not be made anymore - see link for review. The point is to take a look at external frames, too. Otherwise, the rei pack suggested by kevinl sounds interesting and is surprisingly reasonably priced.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/jansport ... view/6839/
2 visits (2002 and 2009) and counting
conmcb25
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by conmcb25 »

I went from an old external frame REI cruiser to a ULA internal frame pack.

I absolutely love it and you can order different sizes in packs and belts to match your shape.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/

Very customer service friendly as well.
mdenys
NewbieCake

Post by mdenys »

I second the ULA packs. My Circuit has treated me well. Very light and comfortable.
robin621
LNT Expert

Post by robin621 »

Thanks...great info
robin621
LNT Expert

Post by robin621 »

Went to a Mom and Pop store and they fixed me up with a great pack (price was similar to Amazon and the other big outdoor stores). I went with an Osprey 85!!! I've been hiking N. Mountain in AZ with my new pack every other day. Look out Isle Royale...see you in 7 weeks. Thanks again for all the information everyone.
greg
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 28

Post by greg »

I really like the GoLite Pinnacle. It can handle a week long trip and weighs essentially one pound. I switched to ultra-lite packs a few years ago and oh my goodness, what a help they are to cutting down pack weight. I really recommend them. Greg R.
Greg M. Romaneck