What type of jacket?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

fredly
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

What type of jacket?

Post by fredly »

Planning a trip to IR the last weekend in August. I have a North Face Cypher Goretex Windstopper softshell which is water resistant. I also have a heavier Columbia rain jacket which is very good in the rain. Just wondering which would be a better choice to bring.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: What type of jacket?

Post by philranger »

I just bring my Marmot rain jacket to the Island. I wouldn't bring both jackets, just the one that would provide protection form the rain. It is usually still warm (60's - 70's) during the day and maybe the 50's at night. Usually the ride over is the coolest part of the trip.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
fredly
NewbieCake

Post by fredly »

I guess I need to clarify my question. Would a softshell jacket be protection enough, or should I bring a rain shell for my trip August 28 - September 2?
mdenys
NewbieCake

Post by mdenys »

I would always bring a rain shell. You never know when the Island will create its own weather.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I don't have experience with softshells as the ones I have seen people use are water resistant, not waterproof and get wet.
When I backpack, when it rains (not if :) ), unless it very windy, I don't wear a shell as I find I get wet from my sweat with it on. I wear a Capilene (or the like) shirt that will keep me warm even when wet and usually gaiters to keep the tops of my boots dry. Shorts to hike in.

For camp, I have a Marmot Precip rain shell that is light and waterproof.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Having survived a 3-day rain storm last August, I would certainly recommend you take head-to-toe rain protection. One of the most miserable folks I've ever seen was caught in that storm with no rain gear.
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

DonNewcomb wrote:Having survived a 3-day rain storm last August, I would certainly recommend you take head-to-toe rain protection. One of the most miserable folks I've ever seen was caught in that storm with no rain gear.
Agreed. Heed the Boy Scout motto and "Be prepared" (or for old Royal Rangers like me, "Be ready"). Doesn't mean you have to carry the kitchen sink on your back but rain gear is a must. One of the trail podcasts I frequent has a motto too, "This is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing".
emerysar
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by emerysar »

I would agree with the raingear being a must.

I had a pack cover, but I also lined the interior of my pack with a light, heavy-duty black trash bag (just in case).

I watched IR's weather like a hawk for a week before my trip, and "chanced" not taking rain pants, knowing I'd have a dry set back in camp, and warm temps to hike in should I get wet bottoms, but it didn't rain enough for me to even unpack my jacket.

Which, by the way was a packable Red Ledge model found at Gander Mountain. It lacked a mesh lining, so it gets kinda sticky if you get hot, but it's less weight to lug, and I could deal with it since it had back vents, etc.