Sleeping Bag - Mid-June

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Wilson
NewbieCake

Sleeping Bag - Mid-June

Post by Wilson »

My husband and I are going hiking on the island for the first time in Mid-June. Looking at the temperature and averages, it looks like it can still be chilly at night. Any recommendations on sleeping bags this time of year?

My options:
10 degree sleeping bag
Fleece sleeping bag
Sea-to-Summit thermal liner (maybe doubled with fleece)
padraig777
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Sleeping Bag - Mid-June

Post by padraig777 »

You should be fine with a 10 degree bag. Although, shelters on the lake, thinking of moskey and chippewa harbor, can get mighty cold with a wind. Is your bag a mummy bag, where you can keep your head warm?
Wilson
NewbieCake

Post by Wilson »

The 10 degree bag is a mummy bag; I'm taking a light stocking cap either way in case I get cold. I don't want to get cold at night, but the bag is bulkier than the fleece.

Would it be too cold with the fleece and the liner? I figure 50 degree rating on the fleece, the liner can add up to 15 degrees...how cold could it get there in June?
padraig777
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by padraig777 »

I was in moskey basin on memorial day 2000, and it was cold....low 40s at night, but the wind cools it down more. I had a 0 degree bag, and was happy that night. I always take that bag to ISRO, because if it gets too warm, I can always unzip it.....but, if its a cold night, you will wish you brought the warmer bag. Lake superior is definitely natures air conditioner.
Wilson
NewbieCake

Post by Wilson »

Thanks for the advice! Going with the mummy bag :D
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Dang, a 10-degree bag in June? Brutal! I just got back last week where the lowest low was 42 degrees. I used a 40 degree bag the entire time. But if those are your only options, then yes, go with the 10 degree bag. You can always cool off, it's hard to warm up!
Mr Blister
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Mr Blister »

We'll be there next week. I'm going with a 30 degree bag. I always bring a pair of long johns I've slept in cold temps with that setup and been just fine. A stocking cap is always a good idea too.
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Vandy »

I'll be there in two weeks with a 20 degree mummy bag, and a fleece hat. Like the other posts indicate, better to be warm than cold.
Wilson
NewbieCake

Post by Wilson »

We tend to camp either in Minnesota in the winter, or Kentucky in the summer. So it's either brutally hot or brutally cold. I haven't camped when it was only 30-50 at night for a while, and my husband never has. I can't remember what to expect :?
Mr Blister
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Mr Blister »

Wilson wrote:We tend to camp either in Minnesota in the winter, or Kentucky in the summer. So it's either brutally hot or brutally cold. I haven't camped when it was only 30-50 at night for a while, and my husband never has. I can't remember what to expect :?
The 10 degree bag would definately keep you warm enough. I was on the SHT right at the border last year and it got down to 34. I have a 30 degree mummy. With my long johns and stocking cap I was fine. I think the fleece would be too light but the 10 degree is probably very heavy? Unless you want to get a new bag I'd go with the 10 to be safe
Wilson
NewbieCake

Post by Wilson »

The 10 degree bag would definately keep you warm enough. I was on the SHT right at the border last year and it got down to 34. I have a 30 degree mummy. With my long johns and stocking cap I was fine. I think the fleece would be too light but the 10 degree is probably very heavy? Unless you want to get a new bag I'd go with the 10 to be safe
I know this is a good bit past due, but I wanted to say THANK YOU for your advice!!! I took my sleeping bag and my husband took his fleece. During the first night on the island (and every other night) we had to share my bag because it was way too cold to be comfortable with just a fleece. The foot room was a little sparse, but otherwise it worked out okay and we both know to take the actual bag next time. :D

Thanks a ton!