My packing list & weights

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

jonathanAd
NewbieCake

Re: My packing list & weights

Post by jonathanAd »

I would like to say thanks to you as this is a very attractive and versatile packing list. This one would be really helpful for me. Thanks for sharing.
fredly
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by fredly »

Just had a question. When you refer to base weight, what are you including? Do you include clothing? My pack weighed 32 lbs when I left the island last year. I have since sold off and purchased all new gear that I have tried out a few times around home. Planning a trip to IR next year. New gear list is as follows.
Pack - Golite Jam 31 oz
Tent - Tarptent Contrail 24 oz
Bag - Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 degree 23 oz
Pad - Thermarest Neo Air Trekker 19oz
Stove - Snow Peak Lite Max 2 oz
Cookset - GSI Minimalist 6 oz
Water filter - Pur Hiker 11 oz

Total 7 lbs 4 oz

I carry two quart water bottles so add 4lbs when full.
blackdog51
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by blackdog51 »

I use a digital postal scale that I got at some office supply store for about $30. It weighs items up to 5 lbs. and reads out in lbs. or grams...

I currently use a Granite Gear Virga (unfortunately GG doesn't sell them anymore but I've seen them at some of the usual outlets.) The pack weighs 2 lbs., 10 ozs. on my postal scale.

I use an old Kelty 35 degree bag that unfolds to a quilt for IR trips. If it sleeps a little cold I put on a down vest.

I also use the Pur (Katadhyn) Hiker for filtering water.
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

Ok Guys and gals, I might be late on the draw here, but I use a fleece insert for my backpacking sleeping bag, helps imensley, and a big agnes inflatable sleeping pad. I have the one that keeps you warmer on one side and cools you off on the flip. Totally use a jet boil, never had a problem with it. I find durable raingear a must, pants and a jacket since it is usually wet in mornings and it can also keep you warm if the weather changes. I agree with the water bladders but I know also bring a small pint size water bottle with a clip for small hikes from camp.
Wilson
NewbieCake

Post by Wilson »

We went out for the first time this past June and my total pack weight was 50lbs and my husband's was about the same. Most of my weight came from the food and my pack lightened up over the course of the trip. By the time we made our way back to Rock Harbor, I easily had about five pounds (if not more) in trash from Backpacker's Pantry meals, granola bars, etc.

To cut back on weight next time, I'm definitely planning on taking fewer Backpacker's Pantry, and taking more pre-measured pasta. With our pasta in baggies, flask of olive oil, and small shelf-stable packs of pepperoni, we saved on packaging weight, and the ingredients were lighter than the backpacker's pantry meals.
numb
NewbieCake

Post by numb »

me and a friend plan on going to royal in july 2012 , I am a semi skilled backpacker . I see you have been to royal 9 times is this correct? Well any how we were looking at the map and we think mccargoe cove for some fishing and backpacking is this a good choice? We would also like to rent a canoe
is this doable? were can we rent one we are coming from the chicagoland area any tips i thank you.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

numb, Are you driving to Grand Portage or Michigan to get to ISRO? There are outfitters in both areas (Minn. and Mich.).