Seeking advice re headnet / bug screen

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

eddy_line
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Seeking advice re headnet / bug screen

Post by eddy_line »

Have found lots of references re headnets and comments that they are well worth the minor weight, but haven't found a thread which discusses specific brands, models, designs. They seem to range from the $5 mesh bag to pull over your hat, to a $20 version which includes a wire loop to keep the screen (and bugs) well away from your face/head/neck. Some seem to just touch your shoulders, other are long enough to tuck inside your shirt collar. Since the bugs seem to find me to be a particularly tasty treat (I'm a decoy for the other members of the group), I'll be carrying Banana Boat sunscreen, Deet, and a bug screen. I would appreciate your feedback and suggestions re the most effective bug screens.

FYI, we'll be doing a 5 day paddle/portage route across the island from McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor, with a circle through Siskiwit Lake.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Re: Seeking advice re headnet / bug screen

Post by DonNewcomb »

Some years ago I purchased a turkey hunter's smock. It is a "hoodie" made from mosquito netting with a veil that drops down over the face. I keep it in a Zip-Loc bag with my DEET. The whole thing reeks of DEET. When the bugs get bad I put it on over whatever I'm wearing. It's a great bugproofing. I don't have to put the DEET on me, it's on the smock.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

I use "The Original Bug Shirt." It's pricey, but it keeps them out.
tfoster
NewbieCake

Post by tfoster »

Is DEET the only repellent that keeps them away? Last summer, I was out in very buggy woods and put some (~35%) DEET bug repellent on. It absolutely drove me crazy and I hurried back so I could wash it off. I felt like I had things crawling on my skin - it was really weird and creepy. We're bringing both DEET and non-DEET repellent with us along with head nets, but I was hoping we wouldn't have to use the DEET.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I have a couple of cheap headnets with no-see-um netting, but have never had to use them. I bring a wide brimmed had, so don't figure I need the hoop kind. They do come down to the shoulders and can tighten up. I figure if/when I do need them that anything will be a savior!

Never found anything but 100% DEET to really be effective when skeeters are bad. Spray clothes and hat and try to keep off the skin, but will carefully wipe on neck and head if necessary. Then wash hands...

Heard this report on NPR a couple months back about a very effective natural bug repellent being developed from grapefruit. But is probably a couple years to market. http://www.npr.org/2011/04/18/135468567 ... grapefruit

BTW, make sure the sunscreen isn't scented.

Have a great trip! It's a nice one (as all are).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

My understanding is that DEET only repels (confuses actually) mosquitoes. It does nothing about flies, gnats, etc.
Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Mandolynn »

I disagree. I find DEET to be very effective against all pesky insects.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

DonNewcomb wrote:My understanding is that DEET only repels (confuses actually) mosquitoes. It does nothing about flies, gnats, etc.
It works against blackflies as well, although I find it needs to be reapplied often.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Keweenaw wrote:
DonNewcomb wrote:My understanding is that DEET only repels (confuses actually) mosquitoes. It does nothing about flies, gnats, etc.
It works against blackflies as well, although I find it needs to be reapplied often.
I checked Wikipedia and it says it's particularly effective against mosquitoes and ticks. In any case, I like having a specific over-garment saturated with DEET, that I put on and take off as needed. That way I don't have to put the stuff on me under conditions where I won't be able to easily wash it off.
tfoster
NewbieCake

Post by tfoster »

We were there June 25 - June 30. Near the (southern) shore, we didn't need bug repellent or head nets. When we ventured inland, we used the cheap $5 head nets and they worked very well, especially since they weigh next to nothing. For bug repellent, we used Natrapel which is 20% Picaridin. We brought DEET-based repellent with us but ended up not needing to use it.