DEET and your sleeping bag

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

DEET and your sleeping bag

Post by johnhens »

Came across this on Backpacker and thought some might be interested:

How to Protect Sleeping Bag from DEET?

Q.} I've heard that DEET is bad for sleeping bag fabrics and can even melt some materials. Since I use DEET on my body on most camping trips, should I always wash my sleeping bag after every trip? And if not, how often should I wash it to protect it from DEET?
Submitted by: Bill - Nightdale, NC
A.} Short answer: Yes, DEET will contaminate your bag, and performance will eventually suffer. Either the materials will start to degrade (if the materials are exposed to high concentrations) or performance will just start to fade (loft will diminish and the breathability of the fabric will suffer).

But in some places, when the bugs are particularly nasty, DEET is a necessary evil, right? There is a solution: a sleeping bag liner. A liner has several benefits: It acts as a barrier between your sweaty, oily, sunscreen-y, DEET-y skin and the bag. It’s easily washable—just toss it in the machine after each trip. And it feels pretty nice against the skin, especially in warm weather. Liners come in lots of flavors—cotton, poly, silk, and various blends. Two great liners: Sea to Summit Coolmax Adapter (about $45, seatosummit.com) or Cocoon by Design Salt Silk Mummy Liner (starting at $50, designsalt.com)
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: DEET and your sleeping bag

Post by DonNewcomb »

The other solution is to put the DEET on a bug jacket which you don't wear in the sleeping bag.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

DonNewcomb wrote:The other solution is to put the DEET on a bug jacket which you don't wear in the sleeping bag.
The other other solution is don't use DEET. If blackflies are bad I use a headnet and lightweight long sleeve shirt. Mosquitoes respond pretty well to non-DEET "natural" repellents. Mostly, though, I just get used to being bitten by mosquitoes early in the season and it doesn't bother me as much later on.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

You can also use a sleeping bag liner but I would also assume you are giving yourself a nice sponge bath with some hot water at camp before crawling in your bag to sleep.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

As far as I've seen, DEET damages nylon right away. Washing the bag at the end of the trip doesn't help too much, the damage is done.

The part of me that gets the most DEET is my hands. I wash them before I eat which is before I go to bed.