inflatable kayaks for isle royale

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: inflatable kayaks for isle royale

Post by Midwest Ed »

I don't think you'll need to lug the kayak back and forth to your shelter or tent. You certainly can if you want to and it may give you more peace of mind. If you leave the kayak at the shoreline, many times it will only be a few yards away (or a few dozen yards away) from a shelter yet still be visible from many of the shelters. As John stated about Daisy Farm, most of the shelters there are quite removed from the water by as much as a few hundred yards although there are a couple that are much closer to the water. At all campgrounds, tent sites are generally further removed from the water than are the shelters. I've never been to Tooker's Island but it seems quite small (200 feet from dock to opposite side of island) and I noticed that it has no tents sites.

Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
dinesh75
NewbieCake

Post by dinesh75 »

Thanks Ed. So I am guessing it's safe to leave the kayaks at the dock and not one will steal them? :).
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

dinesh75 wrote:So I am guessing it's safe to leave the kayaks at the dock
Never say never, but I can't imagine any trouble. The way you phrased "leave at the dock" deserves some notes. I don't think you meant directly at the dock but nonetheless here is some more info.

I would not leave them ON the dock or MOORED AT the dock for several reasons. Some docks are closed at night (daytime use only). I think none of these are at campgrounds. Some campground docks are closed during certain hours of daylight in order to accommodate ferries and water taxis. Besides, it would be just as easy for you to use a piece of beach (which could be very close to the dock) and then you wouldn't run the risk of interfering with power boaters who really need the dock space.

Just pull it up on the beach or grass plenty far out of the water... PLUS secure it with a line to a tree etc. You don't want overnight wind and waves to steal your ride.

Also, since it's not claw proof, I wouldn't store food in it overnight.

See this link on boating for complete dock info (see pages 1 and 2):

http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... e-2011.pdf

Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013