2012 Wish Lists

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

2012 Wish Lists

Post by Ingo »

Here's my gear wish list, in rough order. Trying to cut some weight while maintaining the same level of comfort--I've gotten along OK all these years with what I have :). Have a $100 REI gift card and some dividend coming--that's about the budget so will at least wait for one of their 20% off deals ($$ below are retail).

- Exped Air Pillow, 3 oz, $35 (save 5 oz)
- Neoair Trekker large, 26 oz, $140 (down from 4+ lbs)
- Snow Peak LiteMax Stove, 2 oz, $60 (borrowed 8 oz Peak 1 last trip, paddle with 24 oz Coleman w/ attached tank)
- Alite Monarch Butterfly Chair, 18 oz, $60 (2 oz more than my Therm-a-rest chair, but keeps rear off ground and don't need to stuff/unstuff the pad).
- Platypus GravityWorks filter, 11 oz, $110 (same wgt as my Sweetwater, but it seems SO easy. Would save wgt of 1 platypus bag :wink: )

What's on your list?
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: 2012 Wish Lists

Post by alecto73 »

Does it count if I already ordered it?
:lol:
|| Jess ||
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

Well I fufilled my wish list prior to the new year in November & December. Got fed up with "getting by" with certain items so I dictched the ALICE pack and updated many of the items I carry.

Osprey Atmos 65 pack
2l Osprey Hydraform Bladder
Stoic sleep pad
MSR Pocket Rocket stove
MSR Miniworks filter
Mammut headlamp (so bright I think God may have made it)
Ka Bar Dozier pocket knife
Built a new woodgasser hobo stove for that "campy" feeling

Kept an old Black pine sleeping bag that I like
Kept my cheap and Heavy ozark trail tent cause I like it!

seriously lookin at a Marmot limelight2 or zolo2 though so I guess for 2012 one of the tents would be at the top of my wish list.
Can't wait for spring should be back on the island late May/early June.
alecto73
Trailblazer

Post by alecto73 »

Limelight 2 struck me as a great tent especially in the bang for buck department back when I was looking at them. Marmot includes the footprint - what a freaking concept. I ultimately got a Hubba but that Limelight was nice.

I also laid into my wishlist in December since I knew if I didn't nobody would and man are there some great deals this time of year. GoLite is basically giving away backpacks right now. I picked up lots of gram-counter odds and ends with the big ticket items being a Western Mountaineering Highlite bag and a ZPacks Hexamid Twin. My base weight at the start of 2011 was just under 22lbs. My last trip of 2011 I was around 12. For 2012 it should be under 9. I'm really geeked for 2012.
|| Jess ||
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I didn't have a 2012 wish list, but thanks to you guys, I'm now compiling one :)

One thing I really want is a pair of light-weight shoes for wearing around camp. Some friends bring slippers, and while it's comfortable, they are still kind of bulky and not as functional in camp. Anyone have any suggestions? Weight and packability would first-off be the thing I'm most concerned with, followed by functionality.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

fonixmunkee wrote:One thing I really want is a pair of light-weight shoes for wearing around camp. Some friends bring slippers, and while it's comfortable, they are still kind of bulky and not as functional in camp. Anyone have any suggestions? Weight and packability would first-off be the thing I'm most concerned with, followed by functionality.
I use Crocs, great for wgt, not so much for packability (or style). I strapped to outside of pack--keeps dirt out the pack too. Haven't found anything as light but more packable yet. Functional so long as you're not rock crawling.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

alecto73 wrote:... My base weight at the start of 2011 was just under 22lbs. My last trip of 2011 I was around 12. For 2012 it should be under 9. I'm really geeked for 2012.
No kidding! :shock: I'll be happy to get <30 and think 25 would be great!
alecto73
Trailblazer

Post by alecto73 »

fonixmunkee wrote:I didn't have a 2012 wish list, but thanks to you guys, I'm now compiling one :)

One thing I really want is a pair of light-weight shoes for wearing around camp. Some friends bring slippers, and while it's comfortable, they are still kind of bulky and not as functional in camp. Anyone have any suggestions? Weight and packability would first-off be the thing I'm most concerned with, followed by functionality.
I got them more for crossings in my case but pretty light and might work. If not? Well they were cheap right?
http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901

there's some neoprene ones that are pretty light as well - googling required as I don't remember the specifics

::: edit :::
found them
http://www.theunderwearguys.com/product ... cts_id=218
alecto73
Trailblazer

Post by alecto73 »

Ingo wrote:No kidding! :shock: I'll be happy to get <30 and think 25 would be great!
http://goo.gl/umDc0
|| Jess ||
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Just ordered a 4 lb 2 person Marmot tent for $120 inc. footprint. So it cost me $20 w/ gift card. What's wrong with this? Will use as a solo tent. Think I can get down to 25 lbs base wgt by this summer with new air pad and leaving other stuff behind. But that doesn't include the 4.5 lb camera that will come along--I'll count that as the price of a hobby and not as gear :).
alecto73
Trailblazer

Post by alecto73 »

The day after my "wish-list" tent arrived we got our first good snow storm. Finally got to pitch it for the first time today. Of course that just made me more anxious... Thinking I may be on that May 5th ferry out of GP.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1172627051 ... Iu7w-vLzAE
|| Jess ||