Smartphone Tripods

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Smartphone Tripods

Post by alecto73 »

Anyone have any experience with the little tripods and mounts for your smartphone? None of the mounts that I've seen so far seem all that great. The tripods all kind of look the same. Priorities for me would I guess be 1)weight 2)durability 3) simplicity 4)cost. Input appreciated.
|| Jess ||
photosean
NewbieCake

Re: Smartphone Tripods

Post by photosean »

I use a GorillaPod (1.5oz) for my camera. They have a universal mobile version, GorillaMobile, or an iPhone-specific tripod.
They usually have a $5 off for first-time buyers, do a quick search for a coupon.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Question, and I do not mean to get away from the question you asked in the first place Aleco, but since my questions is one that can probably be answered by both of your opinions on matters I figured Id ask it. With Smartphones that are coming out presently, do you feel as though they are significant enough in quality and design to replace a $200 or $300 point and shoot digital camera? I know I am going to be upgrading my phone this year and was wondering if you though that by me doing so, it would be a waste of my to also by a new point and shoot digital camera. Let me know. Thanks fellas.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
photosean
NewbieCake

Post by photosean »

I think it really depends on what you're shooting for. If you're mainly going to share photos online, ie. social networking sites, email, IsleRoyaleForums.com, then a cell phone is fine. If you're looking for a print larger than a 4x6, take a camera.
Cell phone CCDs (sensors) are considerably smaller than their dedicated camera counterparts. Hence, more noise and loss in fine detail. Megapixels are not created equal. Eight megapixels in a cell phone is not the same as eight megapixels in a traditional camera. Although, the higher-end phones are starting to get better (iPhone and the most expensive Droids).
Also, the zoom is different. Most dedicated cameras have an optical zoom (GOOD) and cell phones have a digital zoom (BAD). The digital zoom will crop the effective area of the sensor in order to achieve the appearance of a zoom. Less sensor translates to less megapixels, making the file smaller and an increase in pixelation.
A true camera will also have better options in the settings panels and may even allow for manual settings.
Here's a good article on sensor size:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... r-size.htm

Hope that helps!
~Sean
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Welcome, photsean! I'm glad we have a photag expert on the forums now! I might be picking your brain quite a bit :)
photosean
NewbieCake

Post by photosean »

I don't know about "expert," but it's what I do for a living. Questions are welcome. The only thing I don't know much about is specific models of point-and-shoot cameras. Which happens to be what I'm asked most when I'm working.