What are you going to use your REI dividend on? 2012 edition

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Re: What are you going to use your REI dividend on? 2012 edi

Post by LeftOvers »

I might use mine toward a new GPS unit. I'd like one that I can put imagery on as well as contour maps. I've got nicely done 1:24K topos of Michigan and Wisconsin on my Garmin GPSmap 60SCx but can't add imagery.

(FYI: at the time I got the 1:24K work, Garmin offered no 24K maps for my Garmin. These were created and converted to Garmin foremat by some people in the GPS community willing to share their work for free.)
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

I've been giving this some thought and while my actual dividend is only $3.12, I may use it and the 20% off any one item to get a Neo Air. I see a lot of other things on sale regularly but not the Neo Air. I think 20% will be a good deal.
Last edited by DonNewcomb on Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackdog
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Blackdog »

I picked up some Mountain House meals, a new pair of hiking socks and a 5-liter Sea to Summit Kitchen Sink. I'll use that for getting water so I can filter it at camp. My feet were freezing getting water from the lake last year. Nice cold water for drinking, not so much fun standing in it.
TomM1940
NewbieCake

Post by TomM1940 »

It does not matter as my wife spent the dividend before I had even considered anything. Next year.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I did purchase the MSR Microrocket, yesterday in fact. The store was packed with folks taking advantage of the 20% off coupon. I did look at pads after reading the other post about them. Too crowded to put them on the gorund and try them out. For now I will stick with the Thermarest Prolite and Luxury LE.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

johnhens wrote:I did purchase the MSR Microrocket, yesterday in fact.
John, I got the Microrocket a couple weeks ago (elsewhere), and have used it once. Cooked pancakes great, with a small aluminum fry pan! So it is good for more than just boiling water.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I finally spent my divide...and on the last day of the coup. Got a nice, new coffee mug: http://www.rei.com/product/659999/snow- ... e-wall-cup
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Ingo wrote:
johnhens wrote:I did purchase the MSR Microrocket, yesterday in fact.
John, I got the Microrocket a couple weeks ago (elsewhere), and have used it once. Cooked pancakes great, with a small aluminum fry pan! So it is good for more than just boiling water.
Good to know John. I had been looking at the Soto Micro, I like the regulator on the stove for better performence at altitude and for cold weather. I don't think I would take it for cold weather, rather the MSR Dragonfly.
I have always been a fan of MSR so it will be fun to play with the Microrocket.
Dave used an Optimus Crux on his thruhike last year and was happy with it. I like the pot supports of the MSR though.
backpackingZombie
NewbieCake

Post by backpackingZombie »

Found a Scratch 'n' Dent pair of Zamberlan Vioz that were literally worn once or twice and marked down to $122. I put them on, walked around a bit, tried to talk myself out of them but ultimately grabbed them and headed to the checkout. At the checkout my day got even better: all footwear was an extra %30 off.

So.... yeah, I got a brand new pair of Zamberlan Vioz for $85. Then, because I got such a good deal on that, I picked up a daypack as well :)

http://www.rei.com/product/774690/zambe ... boots-mens
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

I just received the NeoAir XLite. Came with a stuff sack and patch kit. $127.89 less my dividend of $3.12. That makes it like about $10/oz!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

backpackingZombie wrote:So.... yeah, I got a brand new pair of Zamberlan Vioz for $85. Then, because I got such a good deal on that, I picked up a daypack as well :)
Sweet creamy Jesus that's cheap! I got a pair of these last year at near-full-retail (except for my dividend and 20% off!). I LOVE them and so will you. Seriously...it'll change the way you think about hiking boots.
backpackingZombie
NewbieCake

Post by backpackingZombie »

fonixmunkee wrote:
backpackingZombie wrote:So.... yeah, I got a brand new pair of Zamberlan Vioz for $85. Then, because I got such a good deal on that, I picked up a daypack as well :)
Sweet creamy Jesus that's cheap! I got a pair of these last year at near-full-retail (except for my dividend and 20% off!). I LOVE them and so will you. Seriously...it'll change the way you think about hiking boots.
It's great to hear yet another person praising these :) They'll be replacing my normal Zamberlan Tundras in my normal outdoor fun. Saturday will be their first official outing.