Need a Compass

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Richard1961
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Need a Compass

Post by Richard1961 »

:lol: Or you can use the always reliable method of if lost, run whichever way the Goshawks chace you. :roll: Richard Ps You are not lost if there is no one else along to tattle or to ask directions from. Your only doing some unplanned off trail travel :P
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Redbad wrote:so you will need to read the programming manual for your GPS. Using a GPS unit that is improperly setup will give you misleading and inaccurate information which will not be helpful if you are in a critical situation. You will also want to know how to program way points into your GPS unit.
Good advice all 'round. If you use a GPS you need to understand the impact of map datum and projection on the use of the GPS.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice. This year I am trying to master the compass. I am hoping to have a large REI dividend next year. Once I have my compass skills down and receive my dividend, it will very mostly be that I get a GPS unit with it.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)