Souris River Canoe

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: Souris River Canoe

Post by NancyT »

Hey Ingo, I think we just passed your canoe headed for Ely!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

NancyT wrote:Hey Ingo, I think we just passed your canoe headed for Ely!
Hopefully :) Checking on it is on my list for today.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
NancyT
Trailblazer

Post by NancyT »

We passed two trailers with Souris River Canoes, but only one had two LeTrige Kevlars.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

NancyT wrote:We passed two trailers with Souris River Canoes, but only one had two LeTrige Kevlars.
Mine is in Ely :D . Now trying to arrange for my brother to get up there so we can bring it home to NC in July. AHHH, the wait is killing me!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
NancyT
Trailblazer

Post by NancyT »

Well crap!! We coulda picked it up on our way back since we had extra days to spare. I don't think it woulda fit on my Sunfire with ours though.
Attachments
IMG_2849 Scaled.JPG
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Finally got our Quetico 17 Le Tigre home to NC on July 7 :D ! Got a couple of paddles in up in Wis. and hope to get out this weekend. Got bronze gunnels which look great and I hope will be a little cooler in the NC sun. Nancy, I did pick up a kayak paddle and will try that for soloing. Plan to use a 5 gal. water jug or 2 for weight in the bow when solo (and empty). Will let you know how that works and try to post a pic or 2 this weekend if it doesn't rain too much.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Good for you Ingo! I think you will love it, especially when you go to pick it up :D

For solo, try filling up some platypus's and/or water bottles and throwing them in your dry bag. It hugs the bottom nice and creates a good center of gravity. Enjoy!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
NancyT
Trailblazer

Post by NancyT »

WooHoo!! I'm so happy for you!
You will love the kayak paddle. I will never canoe with a regular paddle again. Though we do have one as a spare in case something happens. (knock on wood)
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

NancyT wrote:WooHoo!! I'm so happy for you!
You will love the kayak paddle. I will never canoe with a regular paddle again. Though we do have one as a spare in case something happens. (knock on wood)
Hey Nancy, I've given the kayak paddle a fair shot but have to say I'm not in love with it. It is faster, and easier into a headwind no doubt. But the traditional canoe paddling strokes are rather engrained in me, and it also seems a little short. I have a 240cm one but put a longer pricier 280cm on my Christmas list. So the jury is still out for me. If I do solo trip I'll probably bring one of each--recent day tripping has found me switching back and forth.
NancyT
Trailblazer

Post by NancyT »

I have the 240cm and in the front, it's a little short. Mike uses the 250cm in the back and says it's fine, in hindsight, I wish I would have gotten the longer one but at the price we paid, I will make due.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~