First time going to IR gear & fishing questions

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

kalebschumaker
NewbieCake

First time going to IR gear & fishing questions

Post by kalebschumaker »

Me and my friend are going to IR next week for the first time. We both are experienced backpackers from MI excited to finally experience IR. First off were bringing fishing poles and some tackle looking to do some inland lake fishing. Anything to know before we throw in our lines? Also, we were thinking about not bringing heavy sleeping bags because of the warm temperatures in july. Would we be alright w/o a sleeping sack if we had warm clothes and gear?

Any tips or tricks I should before we start our adventure would be greatly appreciated!!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: First time going to IR gear & fishing questions

Post by Midwest Ed »

Welcome to the forums.

For fishing there are some special rules that apply. A Michgan license is required for all Lake Superior waters. None for inland lakes. The annual Isle Royale National Park Newpaper, called the Greenstone has a run down of all the regulations. Here's a link:

http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... e_2012.pdf
An example of the different types of regulations you will find is that hooks can have no barbs. Its OK to just pinch the barbs down with a pair of pliers.

I suggest reading through the posts in the Canoeing, Kayaking and Fishing section here for specific recommendations.

As far as sleeping bags during peak summer heat, I would still take a lightweight one. Compared to the size of Lake Superior, the Island is still quite small and the Big Lake is a huge heat sink. It has a tendency to absorb a lot of the heat from the air. Even though the Lake surface temperatures are presently higher than normal, the nights inland during the summer can be cool, commonly in the lower 60s F and often in the 50s F. The coastal areas are also typically 10 or so degrees F cooler than inland and more breezy. If I didn't take a sleeping bag I would make sure I had extra, extra clothes. Getting soaked right before dark could lead to hypothermia without a dry place to take refuge.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
kalebschumaker
NewbieCake

Post by kalebschumaker »

Sweet thanks for the advice!!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

What Ed said. And if you're on the lake, you're probably in a shelter, which are cooler than a tent. On July/Aug trips, I've been zipped up tight in my sleeping bag one night and laying on top of it the next. You never know...
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

ISRO requires barbless hooks for fishing, so you will need to file the barbs off or squeeze them down with a pliers. You may need to wade into some of the lakes, so be prepared to deal with leeches and have some foot protection. Leeches are yucky to deal with but having a puncture injury to your foot could be a major complication.

Depending on which way the wind blows, it can get surprisingly cool at night (say the low 40s or high 30's) at some of the coastal campgrounds even if it is in the 80's during the day on the trail. You might want to think about a backpacking quilt or woobie as a lighter weight option than a sleeping bag. Don't repeat my own experience of waking up at 3AM with my teeth chattering at Little Todd because I didn't want to dig out my sleeping bag before going to bed....