camera

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

camera

Post by zims »

Has anyone used the new nikon waterproof camera or any similar? i am looking for a new pack camera and not sure what to get, any help is appreciated.
zim
shutterbug6
NewbieCake

Re: camera

Post by shutterbug6 »

I have not but I was looking to possibly upgrade to one myself in the near future. Did you end up getting it and if so, how do you like it?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Which Nikon model are you thinking about? Is it the AW100?
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
zims
Trailblazer

Post by zims »

Hi, I am looking at the AW100, but its a pocketful of money. I was hoping to see how people like it before buying it, or if there is a comparable more economical one.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

It looks like a nice camera but as you say, quite pricey. I do not have one nor have I used one. I have though, used this website for quite reliable reviews. They have not done one of there own reviews on it yet but there are several users that have submitted reviews.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/ ... on_cpaw100

http://www.dpreview.com/search/?query=aw100

If you are planning to take it swimming or diving I think it is probably worth the extra price. But it you are using the submersability just to get the extra protection or ruggedness, I think you can get more camera (and less weight) for less money, and still have reasonable ruggedness. A simple heavy duty zip lock bag works for me for just rain protection. If I'm boating or canoeing a dry bag is used.

For backpacking or out of the way use, I like cameras that instead of custom Lithium Ion, use AA batteries since it's so much cheaper to always have extra batteries handy.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Daterkie82
NewbieCake

Post by Daterkie82 »

I just purchased the AW100 and so far so good i will be going to Isle Royale in about a week so we will see how it goes. It was a tough choice between the AW100 and the Olympus Tough. I went with the AW100 because it was easier to use.
zims
Trailblazer

Post by zims »

thank you all for the replies, I Will let you know what I decide on. thank you again
Tenuvem
NewbieCake

Post by Tenuvem »

Took a Panasonic TS4 to the Island in July. Got about 400 shots and 35 min of movie on a single battery charge. Excellent panoramics, HD video, 12MP shots. Full manual control or dumb down auto. This thing is bullet proof. If you want a high end, indestructable camera, this is it. No complaints.
divedeep
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by divedeep »

Did you push through with AW100? If so, how much did you pay for it? My favorite will always be the GoPro Hero3+ when I'm diving. The black edition because it has more features than the silver.
frdm02
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by frdm02 »

i just picked up an AW100 off ebay for $140, will be using it next week on the island, Ill give feedback after.
Sides
NewbieCake

Post by Sides »

This is a two year old thread. I have the new version AW120. Great camera.
divedeep
NewbieCake

Post by divedeep »

frdm02 wrote:i just picked up an AW100 off ebay for $140, will be using it next week on the island, Ill give feedback after.
Really? Wow! What a deal. Never owned one so I'm mighty interested of seeing the quality of the photos it create, plus the fact that it's a bit old.
divedeep
NewbieCake

Post by divedeep »

Sides wrote:This is a two year old thread. I have the new version AW120. Great camera.
Ops! Yeah, haven't noticed the date. Will check out the specs and features of the AW120, been longing to have to a dedicated underwater camera.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

If it isnt a locked topic then they are fair game arent they?.....old or not after all someone may have something interesting to say...or a question that may save their trip to ask.
Sides
NewbieCake

Post by Sides »

tree rattt wrote:If it isnt a locked topic then they are fair game arent they?.....old or not after all someone may have something interesting to say...or a question that may save their trip to ask.
You are right, but the camera he asked about has been discontinued.