"Mid" hikers?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

nechuta
NewbieCake

"Mid" hikers?

Post by nechuta »

Looking for footwear advice. My current pair of Merrell's are about 10 years old and in good condition, but are the leather heavy weight hikers. I'm not sure on the name but I think you'll know what I'm referring to. I am shopping around for an alternative, but am not sure about going to a "mid" hiker, such as North Face Sable hikers. They fit great but are they enough for Isle Royale? Advice would be appreciated, our trip will be on land only, no paddling this time.
Thanks
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: "Mid" hikers?

Post by alecto73 »

I know it is not for everybody but I switched to trail runners a while back and it has been easily the best gear change I've made. They don't last as long but that is miles down my priority list. If you do get tempted the one thing I wish I'd done out of the gate was get shoes that drain well as oppose to being waterproof. Don't even bring my water shoes any more. If your base weight is twenty or less and you're hitting the trail at around forty I would consider it. Again, I know it goes against backpacking dogma but I wish I'd done it sooner so I will mention it once and then shut up about it. ;-)

If you are tempted, Inov-8 Roclite 295's... back in the day I would have said Zamberlan Vioz gt 996.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
|| Jess ||
nechuta
NewbieCake

Post by nechuta »

Unfortunatly, I am not an ultralight packer. I'm slowly upgrading gear, but not near close enough to switch over to a trail runner for me I'm afraid. Also with a max carrying weight ratio of around 28 lbs, of which I'm sure I'll be at 29, I'd rather have a pair of boots under me yet.
I tried out a pair of Vasque breeze boots, and really like them. The NF are going back, and while I'm still looking and trying different styles on, the Vasque's are way up there on my list. The only thing making me nervous is the goretex on what is otherwise large areas of mesh on the boot. My merrell's never had a problem b/c they are solid leather type...I'd be interested in experiences with goretex lined mesh. I've been reading reviews all over the place but addition information is a plus. Of course I'm not looking to walk through water in these (well, probably not anyway) but I need to know that a rain isn't going to drench them, as my gators don't come close to covering them.
Thanks for your input!!
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

The switch to trail runners from hiking boots, was one of the best changes in gear selection I have made, in my opinion.
Ray Jardine in his book, "Beyond Backpacking", relates that "a pound on your feet" is like "five pounds on your back".
The 20-30 lbs. pack range is suited just fine to trail runners. There is no need, in my opinion for gortex(waterproof) boots. Once wet, they take much longer to dry; if you are hiking for any extended distances/time, YOUR FEET WILL GET WET. I have accepted that, others may not agree; to them I would say, perhaps you don't hike much. So, once your shoes get wet, you want them to dry quickly(daily). On Minong ridge trail, I actually sought out water to walk in with my hiking shoes, just to cool the dogs down. Good luck with your footwear search, Merrill and Montrail both make fine footwear/trail runners.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

jrwiesz wrote:YOUR FEET WILL GET WET.
The "trail shoes vs. hiking boots" argument seems to be one of those that goes on quite a bit with backpackers. There's definitely two sides to the argument.

For me, this above statement is what keeps me away from trail shoes: wet feet are the kiss of death on Isle Royale. The quickest way to a blister (besides a poorly-fit shoe/boot) is wet feet. Guess what blisters mean on Isle Royale? No fun, that's what.

Now, the flip side to wet feet could be this: I only hike Isle Royale in the spring, when there's a lot of rain and wetness. So boots are a must to keep my feet dry. Plus, I do what the rangers say...go through the puddles on the trail, instead of around them. You can't go through them with trail shoes on.

As far as a weight difference from boots, I guess I've never noticed because of my long-time use of hiking boots. But regardless, I think I'd sacrifice a some weight for long-term comfort.