Stick Stove Suggestions and Reviews

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Stick Stove Suggestions and Reviews

Post by MikeT »

Much of the discussion on Alcohol stoves talked about stick stoves and "lightweight" stick stoves. The one we currently have is quite old and pretty heavy. I am curious what new "lightweight" stick stoves people are using, where they got them and some reviews.

Thanks in advance!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Stick Stove Suggestions and Reviews

Post by Tightlines01 »

I just ordered the firefly with the flex port option. As for a review I can't say as its in the mail. I expect to get it early this week.

Specs. Listed as
2.55 ounces
Size set up 3.25"x3.25"x4"
Folds up to about 3.25" x 4" x .25"

Plenty of optional accessories. Lots of good videos on you tube and such

Andy.
XJeepr
NewbieCake

Post by XJeepr »

Mike, I have seen one in action and they're pretty cool. The downside I saw was that it took up a lot of pack room and my concern was with wet sticks. I have been using Esbit cubes for the past couple of years and love them. I have their small tripod stand which weighs 11 grams, folds almost flat, and fits my GSI Minimalist mug perfectly. It boils more slowly, but what's the rush. I don't have to always bring a back-up fuel can, and they can be great emergency fire starters. Actually working on going "no cook", so I'm leaving the Esbit and the mug at home this year. Saving space, cutting weight, and simplifying things.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

In my brother's collection is a Markill Wilderness Stove. It's probably the best made forced-air, solid-fuel backpacking stove I've ever seen. Maybe not the lightest stick burner but it will burn just about anything, reducing it to a white ash.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Got my Firefly a couple of days ago. VERY impressed with it. I think I'm going to get the Esbit tab holder option for it and forgoe the Iso Butane for my next trip. Just use wood and Esbit for a bad weather back up.

Andy
Sides
NewbieCake

Post by Sides »

I have a Emberlit UL. I really like it.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I have a Solo woodburner, 8 oz., http://www.solostove.com/solo-stove/. I really like it, though I've only used it to boil water or simmer for a while.

I'm very disappointed in what I just saw on their website though - all the user review ratings for their woodburner and alcohol burner are 5 star, all of them. :x My less than 5 star review of the alcohol stove is not included.

Shame.
BlackCoffee
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by BlackCoffee »

We used an Emberlit Mini on our recent trip. It's made of titanium and weighs practically nothing. It has good air flow and a handy feed port that makes it very easy to continually add decent sized sticks. My sister also has an Emberlit UL, but the full sized version. I like them both and would recommend either. The mini just barely fits a GSI Minimalist mug - nothing smaller. The full sized version has cross bars that you can rest on the top of the stove to fit cookware various sizes. http://emberlit.com/
frdm02
NewbieCake

Post by frdm02 »

I have a solo stove that I have used kayaking and love it. Very light and well made. Have used the alcohol burner accessory with it to make river (trail) side pizzas and it gave a very nice even heat for baking the pizza.
slosteppin
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by slosteppin »

I used a Solo Stove last August on my hike around IR. I did carry a few Esbit tabs for backup. The Solo, like the Bushbuddy, is completely self contained. So no ashes fall on the ground and the surface under the stove does not get hot. I have used the Solo on several picnic tables, first the one on my deck at home.
Everyplace I camped I found plenty of fuel within 50 feet. When boiling water the dead branches of spruce and pine work very well.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Hello all.the stick stove, a love hate relationship.Personally i am a fan of the homemade woodgas stove from a 1 qt paint can and a 1 pt paint can, it comes in at about 7 ounces or so and boils a liter of water in 5 to 6 minutes, but u have to keep it tended and develope a feel for it.the cost was a raid on the recycling bin and an hour of time.the soot doesnt bother me for the weight savings. Fuel is virtually infinite. I was there very early last year, everything was wet and damp.once one develops a mastery of fire they work great!stick stoves do have a learning curve , but oh the rewards of primal fire.