What are you spending your REI dividend on? 2014 edition

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

What are you spending your REI dividend on? 2014 edition

Post by fonixmunkee »

Well, it's March. The sun is shining, the snow is melting, the birds are chirping, and the REI dividends with accompanying 20% off coupon is hitting the mail.

OK, so not all of that is true. The sun isn't shining here in Northern WI, the birds aren't chirping (they are frozen to the trees), and the snow sure as hell isn't melting. BUT, the REI dividends *are* being calculated and shipped out to the REI members. At least ONE sign of spring still exists.

So, what are you going to spend your dividend and 20% off coupon on?

I'll be buying a new 30-degree-ish sleeping bag, as my old trustworthy Marmot Atom bag went missing since my last Isle Royale trip. So go ahead and share, what are you going to be buying?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: What are you spending your REI dividend on? 2014 edition

Post by Ingo »

fonixmunkee wrote:I'll be buying a new 30-degree-ish sleeping bag, as my old trustworthy Marmot Atom bag went missing since my last Isle Royale trip. So go ahead and share, what are you going to be buying?
Fonix, I really like my Mt Hardwear Lamina 35. Packs incredibly small for a synthetic, maybe as small as a comparable down (I know it's smaller than a good 20 deg down from experience), and almost as light. Also pretty true to it's rating--I've done mid 40s without a base layer on and been comfy--figure I'm fine in the 30s with a base layer.

I don't have any big item for the coupon, but need some dry bags, maybe a thwart bag and some new zip-offs.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

If we had one in SE Iowa maybe I would get a rebate... and/ or be broke ;)

but my next gear purchase I am looking at a Vargo Titanium Fire Box Grill
statsman4
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by statsman4 »

I am thinking of the MSR Hubba Hubba tent. I tend to buy everything on clearance though so I'm not sure my dividend will have enough punch!
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I've finally convinced my wife to come to Isle Royale in 2014. She's hinted she would like a pair of good hiking boots. Sounds good to me. I already have a titanium spork.

We'll probably spend most of the time on the West end with a trip out to Huginnin Cove. Does anyone know how far the majestic overlook was FROM Windigo heading to Feldtmann Lake is?
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

I am looking at a new water filter. Possibly the Platypus Gravityworks Water Filter System - 4 Liter. I currently use a katadyn. Its time for some new water bottles too.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Zims, a buddy of mine has the Platypus Gravity works, if you put a 90 on the outlet it will work better (less kinking hose), for that reason I bought the MSR it has the 90 built into the quick connect. Gravity is deffinatly the way to go!!!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

zims wrote:Possibly the Platypus Gravityworks Water Filter System - 4 Liter.
Got it, love it. I can't compare it to other gravity systems though. Like all things Platypus, a little annoying to dry out for storage is my only (minor) complaint.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

A couple of things I'm looking into...
* Good Gaiters - I've not ever had them, but am sick of the dew soaking my socks in the AM hikes and I don't want full rain pants on if it's not raining.
* A new back pack for my son. I have 1 Deuter Fox 40 pack and it fits them both (7 year old twins) very well and has lots of adjustment as they grow. I'll likely be getting another one of them for the other one so they each have their own.
* Possibly newer, nicer hiking sticks. Not the highest priority as I don't use the ones I have now much, but would consider them more if they were nicer
* Lots of other smaller things
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

statsman4 wrote:I am thinking of the MSR Hubba Hubba tent. I tend to buy everything on clearance though so I'm not sure my dividend will have enough punch!
Fact: I've owned three (THREE) Hubba Hubbas in my life time. I'll never own another tent again. Good choice.

Fake fact: The Hubba Hubba is the greatest tent ever built, and I'm partially attributed to it's current design.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

fonixmunkee wrote:
statsman4 wrote:I am thinking of the MSR Hubba Hubba tent. I tend to buy everything on clearance though so I'm not sure my dividend will have enough punch!
Fact: I've owned three (THREE) Hubba Hubbas in my life time. I'll never own another tent again. Good choice.

Fake fact: The Hubba Hubba is the greatest tent ever built, and I'm partially attributed to it's current design.
I am sure the Hubba Hubba is nice... but I will dispute your greatest tent ever :wink: I am partial to the Six Moon Designs Skyscape, but they are very different style shelters... to each their own... Happy Trails
statsman4
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by statsman4 »

Good to hear you like the tent fonixmunkee I really like the weight and it appears to be functional. Based on your experience.....can you fit two average adults and their gear?
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

statsman4 wrote:Good to hear you like the tent fonixmunkee I really like the weight and it appears to be functional. Based on your experience.....can you fit two average adults and their gear?
You bet. I backpack with a husky dude and we fit fine. Gear doesn't fit in the tent, but it fits fine in the vestibules attached.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

After about 20 years, the non-stick coating on my MSR pot kit is finally giving up the ghost, so I'm thinking I'll replace it. Ideally it would be a single fry pan/single pot nesting kit, and I'm not sure if I'll go non-stick again. (If it wasn't for the coating flaking off, I think this set would have lasted forever.)
Any and all recommendations appreciated! (Except cast-iron, I'm pretty sure I'll pass on that. :lol: )
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Tom wrote:After about 20 years, the non-stick coating on my MSR pot kit is finally giving up the ghost, so I'm thinking I'll replace it. Ideally it would be a single fry pan/single pot nesting kit, and I'm not sure if I'll go non-stick again. (If it wasn't for the coating flaking off, I think this set would have lasted forever.)
Any and all recommendations appreciated! (Except cast-iron, I'm pretty sure I'll pass on that. :lol: )
I have the Optimus Terra Weekend set and love the built in heat exchanger. They claim it reduces boil time by 20% and I think that's conservative. It also helps some in a breeze. Mine is used mostly for straight boiling, but they have a couple sets with a frying pan. Have had it a couple years so can't speak to 20 year longevity, but it's holding up fine. You can't use your REI dividend though, since they don't carry it. http://shop.katadyn.com/products/155108 ... nd_Cutlery

For larger groups, "real" cooking, and car camping I use an REI non-stick set (same as GSI) and that's also held up well over the years. http://www.rei.com/product/765750/rei-c ... set-medium Personally I'd stick with aluminum for anything other than boiling water--it distributes heat so much better.